Please help identify my GPU

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

Looks like an RX 580, just an unbranded one.

Run some benchmarks and compare them against a normal 580. Newer Radeon cards don't need bridges for Crossfire.

Hello again my fellow computer nerds. So I bought two graphics cards off the online shopping app "Letgo".. they were listed as AMD RX580's.. 8gb gddr5..

First red flag was when I asked him 3 different times who made it... And, Asus, etc, and he ignored the question.. I got the feeling he was trying to rip me off, but at the listed price he had of 200$, and me talking him down to 160$, it was worth seeing what came out if it.. I told him I would need to plug it into my computer to confirm it worked, and confirm it was an 8gb rx580.. he agreed.. usually people who are trying to pull some funny business don't want you to look under the hood..  he got here and we talked and he told  me they are generic brand cards, but  they are indeed 8gb rx580's.... I ended up not having an 8 pin plug in my PC so I couldn't confirm it worked so I told him I was going to pass.. he then told me that he really needed the money bad and if I bought it and anything was wrong he would give me my money back.. I told him I would do it if he gave me both cards for 160$ total.. he agreed.. as soon as he left I realized I had two 6 pin cords hiding behind something in my case, so I installed them and went to hook up the crossfire bridge and realized there are NO fingers on the PCB to plug them in...  So I installed just one, installed a power supply booster that has the correct cords.. installed amd rx580 drivers online from AMD.. everything works perfectly fine.. device manager and gpu-z and ccc all say it indeed is an 8gb rx580, all the clock speeds are right, everything looks legit.. and performance wise, they rock.. 1080p on ultra settings I'm getting 50-80 fps in world of Warcraft, counter strike source I'm getting 294 for on maxed settings.. it did artifact kinda bad one time while watching YouTube, but hasn't happened since.. temps are good.. everything seems fine...

But it is clearly NOT a legite AMD RX580.. the shroud is different and has no branding...

Just now I took it apart to see if I could see anything identifying on the PCB, and to my surprise, it has 8memory chips, and has an and branded chip.....

What in the hell is this GPU???

IMG_20181018_233257.jpg

IMG_20181018_233449.jpg

IMG_20181018_233745.jpg

IMG_20181018_233738.jpg

IMG_20181018_233307.jpg

IMG_20181018_233356.jpg

AMD cards past the hawaii GPUs don't need crossfire connectors anymore for multi-GPU. download 3dmark and run firestrike, if graphics performance is about the same as any RX 580 then it's legit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Run some benchmarks and compare them against a normal 580. Newer Radeon cards don't need bridges for Crossfire.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I installed the other one, and you were right.. they are running in crossfire and they're not connected at a bridge.. but now my main gpu is barely breathing and the one that is off 90% of the time has all the airflow in the world.  And I only have those two x16 slots so I can't move a card anywhere else..  after a LOT more reasearch, I'm leaning towards those being legitimate ATI RX580's.. so I'm happy . 

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2018 at 3:25 AM, Jstagzsr said:

I installed the other one, and you were right.. they are running in crossfire and they're not connected at a bridge.. but now my main gpu is barely breathing and the one that is off 90% of the time has all the airflow in the world.  And I only have those two x16 slots so I can't move a card anywhere else..  after a LOT more reasearch, I'm leaning towards those being legitimate ATI RX580's.. so I'm happy . 

You wouldn't happen to be able to get me a copy of the bios from one of your cards would you? I've got one that looks just like it, blank with no branding but checks out as an RX 580, but someone flashed a mining bios on it and it doesn't play nice with anything now.

Thanks!

On 5/7/2020 at 8:13 PM, Artk2219 said:

You wouldn't happen to be able to get me a copy of the bios from one of your cards would you? I've got one that looks just like it, blank with no branding but checks out as an RX 580, but someone flashed a mining bios on it and it doesn't play nice with anything now.

Thanks!

I don't know how to get a copy of the bios off the GPU but I will look in to it and assuming I'm successful, yeah I can shoot it over to u.