Using SSD

Diego Andres
Go to solution Solved by SSD Sean,

Sure you cloned over the OS properly? Boot partition/files included? Sounds like there is no boot data on the SSD and the motherboard is detecting it on the HDD only and booting off that when the SSD shows nothing. What software did you use? What SSD and system is it? Sometimes I've had AOMEI Backupper Software say it cloned, but didn't. I hear good things about macrium reflect, but I usually use Acronis True Image. 

So I'm currently cloning my HDD to my SSD.

167GB in current use (HDD) to a 240GB SSD, so far everything should be good I guess.

Now I've got 2 questions.

1- When this process is done I guess I should boot my computer again and enter to the bios to change the main device that I'm going to use to boot the PC, right?

2- Once I can successfully manage the #1... Do I change the location of my programs? Or how does it work? Say I installed Adobe and other bunch of programs, when I launch them will they be trying to boot from (C:) unit (HDD)?

If so, how do I update the new path to boot my programs from say (K:) on my SSD where I just cloned everything?

And if this doesn't work like that please guide me lol

BTW, I'm just using this SSD because I happen to have it around and I only use this PC a couple hours a day and I'd like to use my 2TB HDD to keep all my information organized.

Thanks

Your boot device will usually be C drive, so just swapping the boot device should be all you need to do (if this is a SATA SSD).

If its an NVME SSD then its a completely different ball game and may not boot at all.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

So I can just swap the letters and safe myself work?

Where exactly should I do this?

Thanks

Clone it, set the new device as the main boot drive in the BIOS/UEFI, boot. Verify you cloned successfully and are booted off the new SSD, then wipe the old HDD of all data by deleting all partitions off of it and then reformat it and move over any data you want to have on it from the new SSD. Then you should be good to go. To move big data folders I like using free file sync, tho Windows explorer does a decent job. 

When you clone over, everything will be exactly the same as it was on the old drive. Everything will behave the same. Applications will be where they were and files too. Anything already installed will now operate faster off of the newly cloned to SSD. No changing any directory paths or anything. It is a mirror copy of your old drive. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

So I disabled my other drive from the bios priorities and set to boot from my SSD.

It's working apparently. However, I still see that my (C:) unit is my HDD and my SSD is (K:)

How can I change this so my system know it's now running from the SSD? Bios is not doing it seems

Thanks

3 minutes ago, MeTiroAtuTia said:

So I disabled my other drive from the bios priorities and set to boot from my SSD.

It's working apparently. However, I still see that my (C:) unit is my HDD and my SSD is (K:)

How can I change this so my system know it's now running from the SSD? Bios is not doing it seems

Thanks

So you want to change drive letters to how they should be..?
Is it Drives listed in task manager thats out of order,?... or Windows File Explorer that shows the lettering screwups?

Spoiler

Task manager Fix - Lets say its out of order...
D:\

C:\
E:\

But why not C/D/E? -

Sata Port plugs...., once I rejigged my ports in the right way (on motherboard) with SSD in Port 0, not Port 1, it became the new 'top of the list' with it now saying...

C:\

D:\

E:\

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Bios says the PC is running from the SSD because I set it as the only disk in the priorities but Windows is still showing that the HDD is the primary Disk.

I disconnected the HDD from the SATA Port but it won't let me boot, would show a black screen saying "Reboot and select proper boot device..."

Any suggestions?

Sure you cloned over the OS properly? Boot partition/files included? Sounds like there is no boot data on the SSD and the motherboard is detecting it on the HDD only and booting off that when the SSD shows nothing. What software did you use? What SSD and system is it? Sometimes I've had AOMEI Backupper Software say it cloned, but didn't. I hear good things about macrium reflect, but I usually use Acronis True Image. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

I formatted it again through the windows disk manager and I'm gonna clone it again in the morning, maybe it didn't do it correctly like you said.

Thanks

What software are you using?

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

I'm using Macrium Reflect.

So I'm a dumbass and ended up doing a complete mess before trying to clone it again lol

However I finally was able to do the process again making sure I selected all the partitions and went to sleep.

I reboot the computer and selected the SSD and it's finally working and you can clearly tell the difference.

Thank you all for the help I appreciate it.

Glad to hear it! Enjoy your new found speed! Haha if there is anything else, feel free to ask.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)