overheating issue

TheBean

I have a old dell laptop having a wired heating issue. I replaced the TP with arctic silver 5. I replaced the laptop cooler. I uninstalled *everything*. my cpu idles at about 20%. its overeating to a point where the turbo boost downclocks to 800mhz. fans 100%. EVEN AT 800MHZ IT AUTO SHUTS DOWN BY OVERHEATING!!! The only thing that i can possibly think is causing the GPU ( gt 730m) is running at 100% somehow. The gpu driver is NOT installed. task manager does not show the gpu because the driver is not installed and for some reason will not install. 

21 hours ago, saksham said:

I have a old dell laptop having a wired heating issue. I replaced the TP with arctic silver 5. I replaced the laptop cooler. I uninstalled *everything*. my cpu idles at about 20%. its overeating to a point where the turbo boost downclocks to 800mhz. fans 100%. EVEN AT 800MHZ IT AUTO SHUTS DOWN BY OVERHEATING!!! The only thing that i can possibly think is causing the GPU ( gt 730m) is running at 100% somehow. The gpu driver is NOT installed. task manager does not show the gpu because the driver is not installed and for some reason will not install. 

You replaced the cooler? If the cooler is not for the laptop specifically, it's possible there's an alignment issue and no contact on the cpu. You'll have to provide details of temps and not just clocks on your cpu, and potentially all specs, including windows install and software running in the background.

20% seems high, is windows trying to update or something? Especially if you don't have the driver for the gpu windows will try to find one if you have that setting on.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

1 hour ago, ShadowChaser said:

You replaced the cooler? If the cooler is not for the laptop specifically, it's possible there's an alignment issue and no contact on the cpu. You'll have to provide details of temps and not just clocks on your cpu, and potentially all specs, including windows install and software running in the background.

20% seems high, is windows trying to update or something? Especially if you don't have the driver for the gpu windows will try to find one if you have that setting on.

there is some hardware issue i think so the system will not detect the gpu. I bought a new cooler specifically for that laptop. It is a dell Inspiron 3421.

CPU: i5-3337u

GPU: nvidia gt 730m (no driver installed - some wired hw issue)

1tb hdd

fresh windows 10 install

onedrive and google drive running in the background. 

1 hour ago, saksham said:

there is some hardware issue i think so the system will not detect the gpu. I bought a new cooler specifically for that laptop. It is a dell Inspiron 3421.

CPU: i5-3337u

GPU: nvidia gt 730m (no driver installed - some wired hw issue)

1tb hdd

fresh windows 10 install

onedrive and google drive running in the background. 

I would use the original cooler unless it's physically broken. Just so you can ensure both chips are being cooled effectively. What are the temps on each component?

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

I tried using the old one. It was much worse and auto shut down faster.