Free Hypervisors?

l11h

Hi,

I am looking for a free hypervisor for my school project. I have another topic up and found ESXi would do the job however, vSphere is a trial and won't last me until the end of my project. 

I have tried Proxmox and I really that hypervisor, does what I need but only one problem.

I can't seem to find any shell commands to create VM's whereas with ESXi I could. 

Or does anyone know how I can use the shell to create VM? Or even create it from a template that you create yourself? 

I was thinking if there is any hypervisors that are free also the client to access the hypervisor is free to use. If I was a business yes I would go for vSphere as it does what I need however, i'm not and will only need it for a few months lol. 

I heard about Hyper-V is that free? Can i run it off Windows 8? I got a copy of Windows 8 on my laptop so if I can use that to access Windows Hyper-V and it's not a trial? And also be able to create templates and create VM's using the shell. 

Any help will be appreciated :) 

P.S. For the people want to know my project it's simple:

I'll have 2 hypervisors at school connected up (for proxmox as i know this does it) and live migrate the machines without turning them off, just as an extra feature.

But this is what i'm going to concentrate on. 

Create a hypervisor at home as school's computers aren't really powerful lol. 

Simulate a VPS hosting company, so i'll have Ubuntu Server and maybe others. But to deploy these using templates (with vSphere i know u can through CLI, with Proxmox can't seem to find it, which is a problem)

And then Port Forward these, Using PfSense to do port forwarding, so it translates from e.g port 2222 to port 22, so I dont have to change the O/S it's in the firewall, This works but same problem can't seem to use CLI to do firewall rules, any other alternative? 

Once this is done I will then access that same machine using Putty from school. 

This will all be demonstrated to the lecturer. 

So I know his question will be, well why only use GUI for all this? Isn't it quicker to use CLI, or like most sites I guess they do this, when you choose package they send the commands to the server which creates the VPS using those settings u chose. 

Which is the main reason I want the command line option if available. 

Thanks for all your help in advanced. 

ESXi or now called vSphere is free you just have to register at VMwares site and you get a code, it only limits you at 32gb of ram if i recall.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

ESXi or now called vSphere is free you just have to register at VMwares site and you get a code, it only limits you at 32gb of ram if i recall.

Yes I tried that but from my research I need vCenter to create templates, looked under every option in vSphere but only has a cloning option ... and it seems it's just not the same thing lol

:P They removed the RAM limit!

Yes I tried that but from my research I need vCenter to create templates, looked under every option in vSphere but only has a cloning option ... and it seems it's just not the same thing lol

You will need the vCenter. I see your problem.

"qm create <vmid>" is the command to create and "qm config <vmid>" to configure.

so proxmox does have the feature to create VM's through the shell :o 

so the config option I can set options like how much RAM and CPU, the VLAN and all that right? 

Can we do something similar with templates, as with templates in Proxmox everything is similar u just create template and choose fully or cloned option, storage and name of vm.