Low frames in combat TF@

Hi guys. i have 16GB ram, GTX 1070, and i7 7700k cpu. I mostly rocket jump, which is offline, and i get almost 300 fps, and it never drops under 280. But when i join casual or competitive i get 170 frames, and even 70 or 80 in combat. I don't think that s normal and i think this problem started to occur recently. In contrast, in csgo i get around 160 in ffa, but it never stutters, and it feels decent, while in tf2 you can feel your fps dropping and very uncomfortable to look at. Now i was mapping, and was compiling a lot. I heard that if you compile a lot your cpu dies. So im not sure if that could have caused it. hope you guys can help.

Team Fortress 2 is a very poorly optimized piece of shit from an engine perspective. It’s very easy to get it to tank under 60 if you try.

That being said, if you wanna claw back more frames, there’s a couple of things you can do:

snd_async_fully_async (or something like that): set that to 1. 

r_shadowrendertotexture 0 will turn off the “detailed” shadows that are rendered on the map in favor for very simple dark spots under models that react to map lighting. This may help too. 

mat_phong 0 is a very obvious one that could help bring frames back by disabling the phone shading of models that react to the game’s baked lighting and shading solution. 

mat_dxlevel 98; sounds stupid but the higher end and more modern your card is, the better you enable this setting. This is the “most demanding” but also works the best in modern operating systems; mat_dxlevel 81 and 80 simply don’t work well in Windows 10. 

Also, compiling maps often won't kill your CPU, but make no mistake, it's very intensive and you can blame literally all of that on the fact that the light baking takes FOR-FUCKING-EVER.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.