Computer shuts down by itself while gaming. help

matin94

my friend has a computer. recently he had this problem that hes PC would turn off after 15-30 minutes of gaming. at first i thought it had to be his powersupply because he doesnt get blue screen, nothing just shuts off. 

i replaced his 520W power supply with a 700W power supply. i applies new thermal paste on his GPU and CPU.

and just now he has the problem. any one have any idea why? we've swapped the power ccables too but this issue only occurs when hes gaming.

he has a X4 Phenom amd CPU, pretty sure its the highest X4 Phenom model.

4 GB of RAM

AMD 6870 GPU

OCZ 700W 80+ silver power supply

Maybe overheating? Did you check his temps while gaming?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

most likely Overheating.

So Check his Temps, And Many install more Fans.

The GPU only need about 600 Watts, So its not likely That its turning off Due to Voltage 

My Profile has my specs.

Maybe overheating? Did you check his temps while gaming?

yeah, it was 80-95, but after i put new thermal paste on, its around 80 max, the last thermal paste was dry

most likely Overheating.

So Check his Temps, And Many install more Fans.

The GPU only need about 600 Watts, So its not likely That its turning off Due to Voltage 

wouldnt overheating give him blue screen? my gpu did, i have a 670, and it gave me blue screen when it overheated, so i put new thermal paste on, and i put 2 new fans on and it worked now. my problem is that there is no message at all, it just shuts off.

yeah, it was 80-95, but after i put new thermal paste on, its around 80 max, the last thermal paste was dry

80 degrees is still pretty hot. You should install MSI afterburner and set your own fan curves. 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

80 degrees is still pretty hot. You should install MSI afterburner and set your own fan curves. 

the fan is set to run on 100% at all times. it has been for a while

the fan is set to run on 100% at all times. it has been for a while

I don't get how the card is running so hot then  :huh: I'm pretty sure you've checked the obvious and made sure there's no dust inbetween the fins. Try putting your card into his system and see if his comp still shutsdown. 

I don't get how the card is running so hot then  :huh: I'm pretty sure you've checked the obvious and made sure there's no dust inbetween the fins. Try putting your card into his system and see if his comp still shutsdown. 

will do soon, i've just got back home now, i did clean it out.. i told him to use his onboard GPU to game for an hour to see if its the gpu.

hes just went on a game, i said to download GPUz and see the min and and max and current temps, hes at 62 degrees on highest settings on arma, which is the game he crashed on aswell, same thing with dota, hearthstone, dayz standalone, World of warcraft. it runs at 62 degrees with the new thermal paste but still the same problem

EDIT: he was on the game for 15 minutes.

wouldnt overheating give him blue screen? my gpu did, i have a 670, and it gave me blue screen when it overheated, so i put new thermal paste on, and i put 2 new fans on and it worked now. my problem is that there is no message at all, it just shuts off.

Some Times it wont Give a Blue Screen.

My Profile has my specs.

80 is not that hot for a gpu it could be the problem but what about cpu temps

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

80C is pretty hot even for GPU. Mine doesn't go over 75C on BF4.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

80C is pretty hot even for GPU. Mine doesn't go over 75C on BF4.

I know but it is not the threshold which is about 90-95C

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Check Event Log to see if anything relevant is in there. Typically an overheat with throw a Thermal warning BSOD. Also have him run Memtest86 for 24 hours to rule out memory issues.

On the off chance he may have bad VRAM on his GPU. It works fine until it hits the bad area of RAM as time progresses then the GPU causes the machine to restart.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Try uninstalling all the gpu drivers and reinstall newest ones but make sure there is no traces left of the old ones, i had a similar problem with my gtx 770 and it was only running at 60c, The driver's solved my problem but if its not that the others in the thread are most likely right.

after changing the thermal paste, both run at around 60 degrees under load

i really dont know what it oculd be

Check Event Log to see if anything relevant is in there. Typically an overheat with throw a Thermal warning BSOD. Also have him run Memtest86 for 24 hours to rule out memory issues.

On the off chance he may have bad VRAM on his GPU. It works fine until it hits the bad area of RAM as time progresses then the GPU causes the machine to restart.

will do, thanks for the advice, i just hope the PC doesnt shut off in that 24 hours -_-

Try uninstalling all the gpu drivers and reinstall newest ones but make sure there is no traces left of the old ones, i had a similar problem with my gtx 770 and it was only running at 60c, The driver's solved my problem but if its not that the others in the thread are most likely right.

will do that aswell, we know he needs a new computer, but we're just trying to fix this one until he buys a new one