ryzen 7 2700x and wraith prism too hot

Hello guys,

so a couple of days ago i had posted a question about how the cpu was runnign at 60 degrees celsius on idle. I received answers that said that i needed to change the thermal paste and so i did. I used a liquid metal compound with the name of thermal grizzly conductourant . It worked for a couple of hours and then it went back to running at 55 degrees or 50 degrees Celsius idle. 

So i decided to change the thermal paste and bought a MX-4 thermal paste. (liquid metals are really hard to clean jeez). 
and so I used it . The same result, works fine to about 38 degrees Celsius for a couple of hours and then runs really hot. Then i again checked the thermal paste by removing the wraith prism and found out it wasn't spread properly.Maybe it's because the base of contact of the cooler doesn't have a thermal pad and is naked.  So, I reapplied it and again the same thing happened. I have been re applying the thermal paste using different methods even spreading it evenly across the CPU for almost two days now. Nothing has changed. 

Can someone tell me what is it that I am doing wrong? 

Thanks,

Anish

4 minutes ago, muttsang said:

What case?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What case?

The case that i am using is Thermaltake Core G21 TG

2 minutes ago, muttsang said:

The case that i am using is Thermaltake Core G21 TG 

Assuming you have fans in the front of the case or one fan on top blowing down towards the CPU you shouldn't have any issues even with the stock cooler/paste, are you sure it's tightened down all the way? Or you don't have something putting a high load on your CPU at idle like some kind of mining maleware? Not the case if windows is a fresh install

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Assuming you have fans in the front of the case or one fan on top blowing down towards the CPU you shouldn't have any issues even with the stock cooler/paste, are you sure it's tightened down all the way? Or you don't have something putting a high load on your CPU at idle like some kind of mining maleware? Not the case if windows is a fresh install

well the wraith prism has a lever to tighten up the contact with the CPU and i make sure that the lever is tightened down properly. and i only run ryzen master to monitor the temperature. No, I don't use any mining thing whatsoever. 

Could it be a problem with the cooler itself?

well the wraith prism has a lever to tighten up the contact with the CPU and i make sure that the lever is tightened down properly. and i only run ryzen master to monitor the temperature. No, I don't use any mining thing whatsoever. 

Could it be a problem with the cooler itself?

It would be incredibly hard to find a "broken" cooler.

Suppose you should just live with it for now, did you already have the liquid metal or something? Because you could have just bought any of the like $25 4 heat pipe 120mm coolers instead. Like a Hyper T4 if the case is narrow.

Maybe like for a Thermalright Macho cooler of some kind if you want something substantial.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It would be incredibly hard to find a "broken" cooler.

Suppose you should just live with it for now, did you already have the liquid metal or something? Because you could have just bought any of the like $25 4 heat pipe 120mm coolers instead. Like a Hyper T4 if the case is narrow.

Maybe like for a Thermalright Macho cooler of some kind if you want something substantial.

i actually had bought the liquid metal when I was first building this rig. 
Are you suggesting that I buy another cooler? 

i actually had bought the liquid metal when I was first building this rig. 
Are you suggesting that I buy another cooler? 

That would instantly fix your thermal issues yes, any tower cooler will be better, though that stock cooler shouldn't be so bad.

Is that with it's stock clocks/voltages or are you overclocking it?

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

That would instantly fix your thermal issues yes, any tower cooler will be better, though that stock cooler shouldn't be so bad.

Is that with it's stock clocks/voltages or are you overclocking it?

i usually run it on 8 cores with each core with the speed of 4000 and cpu voltage is 1.25. 

but since the heating problem started, i have started to run it with only 4 cores with the speed of 3200 for each cores and CPU voltage of 1.215. 

Can you recommend me some good coolers? or should i go with liquid? I haven't used it before tho. Also, I am a student so can you recommend me something that's not expensive?

8 minutes ago, muttsang said:

i usually run it on 8 cores with each core with the speed of 4000 and cpu voltage is 1.25. 

but since the heating problem started, i have started to run it with only 4 cores with the speed of 3200 for each cores and CPU voltage of 1.215. 

Can you recommend me some good coolers? or should i go with liquid? I haven't used it before tho. Also, I am a student so can you recommend me something that's not expensive?

A coolermaster Hyper T4 is going to be fine and cheap

Your voltage isn't even high, not sure what you issue would be then.

here's targets for frequency at a given voltage

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

A coolermaster Hyper T4 is going to be fine and cheap

Your voltage isn't even high, not sure what you issue would be then.

here's targets for frequency at a given voltage

Okay thanks. I'll let you know if it decliles or works out.

Can the case fans also effect the cooling ?

2 minutes ago, muttsang said:

Having 2 high airflow fans at the front for intake would help temps a bit for sure. It would be much worse if the case didn't have mesh.

Spoiler

@muttsang  I would encourage you to abandon a manual overclock and use PBO instead.  Which motherboard do you have?

Also, I found that the Wraith Prism was a decent cooler when I was using it.  I could reach an overclock of close to 4.2GHz with it, but I didn't intend on keeping that overclock.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

48 minutes ago, nick name said:

@muttsang  I would encourage you to abandon a manual overclock and use PBO instead.  Which motherboard do you have?

Also, I found that the Wraith Prism was a decent cooler when I was using it.  I could reach an overclock of close to 4.2GHz with it, but I didn't intend on keeping that overclock.  

hi sorry what's a PBO? and how do i use it? I have a aorus x470 ultra gaming

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

43 minutes ago, muttsang said:

alright thanks, i'll let you know if i see any improvements or not

You will also need to make certain you adjust in your Windows Power Plan (doesn't matter which one) > Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management > Minimum Processor State > 45% or lower.  I use 20% as recommended by an AMD post somewhere.  

46 minutes ago, muttsang said:

alright thanks, i'll let you know if i see any improvements or not

Oh and which motherboard do you have?

12 minutes ago, nick name said:

You will also need to make certain you adjust in your Windows Power Plan (doesn't matter which one) > Advanced Power Settings > Processor Power Management > Minimum Processor State > 45% or lower.  I use 20% as recommended by an AMD post somewhere.  

it is in 5%. I hadn't checked it but is that good or is it too low? I have aorus x470 ultra gaming motherboard

1 hour ago, muttsang said:

it is in 5%. I hadn't checked it but is that good or is it too low? I have aorus x470 ultra gaming motherboard

As long as it is below 45% you're fine.  And I imagine that motherboard should have the options to adjust your PBO settings.  Have you found the settings under BIOS?  Probably something under Advanced and AMD CBS.  

Just now, nick name said:

As long as it is below 45% you're fine.  And I imagine that motherboard should have the options to adjust your PBO settings.  Have you found the settings under BIOS?  Probably something under Advanced and AMD CBS.  

i didn't need to access the BIOS. Ryzen master allowed to use the PBO from that software (ryzen master). Now while doing normal activities like surfing the web, the temp is stable to 41 degress celsius . Played assassins creed syndicate for an hour. didn't go above 50 degree celsius. :) 

amd.PNG

7 minutes ago, muttsang said:

i didn't need to access the BIOS. Ryzen master allowed to use the PBO from that software (ryzen master). Now while doing normal activities like surfing the web, the temp is stable to 41 degress celsius . Played assassins creed syndicate for an hour. didn't go above 50 degree celsius. :) 

amd.PNG

What kind of memory are you running?  It doesn't seem that you activated DOCP in your BIOS yet.  

Also, I think you will see the PBO settings in BIOS are better.  It gives you a scale of 1 - 10 which translate to how long the system will try to hold the higher frequencies.  

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

What kind of memory are you running?  It doesn't seem that you activated DOCP in your BIOS yet.  

Also, I think you will see the PBO settings in are BIOS better.  If gives you the a scale of 1 - 10 which translate to how long the system will try to hold the higher frequencies.  

wait DOCP was for asus motherboards right ? aorus also has that?is it that necessary? Don't get irritated pls, i am a noob in these kinda things. 

alright, i'll check the PBO in the bios as well

1 hour ago, muttsang said:

wait DOCP was for asus motherboards right ? aorus also has that?is it that necessary? Don't get irritated pls, i am a noob in these kinda things. 

alright, i'll check the PBO in the bios as well

No I'm not irritated.  I think AMD calls it DOCP and Intel calls it XMP.  But I might be wrong so look for XMP in your BIOS and select the profile under DOCP/XMP so you can get the speed you purchased your RAM for.  If it's a higher speed or tighter timings you may need to increase the DRAM voltage higher than the 1.35V.  

11 hours ago, nick name said:

No I'm not irritated.  I think AMD calls it DOCP and Intel calls it XMP.  But I might be wrong so look for XMP in your BIOS and select the profile under DOCP/XMP so you can get the speed you purchased your RAM for.  If it's a higher speed or tighter timings you may need to increase the DRAM voltage higher than the 1.35V.  

hi again.
its XMP for amd .and i couldn't find the PBO in the BIOS. I even updated it to see if it includes PBO but unfortunately its not there. 
I thought XMP was for processors, it  affects  RAM too? that means i will be OCking ram as well right? i am a total noob ?
I have a 16 gb ram so will it be okay for the default DRAM voltage?