PC is no longer connecting to 5ghz??

HDarmon

After noticing some connection issues that I have never really had before, I checked the properties of my connection and noticed that it was now connecting via 2.4ghz rather than the 5ghz that it used to.

I have both a router and wireless card (N900 TL-WDN4800) capable of 5ghz and after troubleshooting for an hour or two I haven't gotten anywhere.

One thing I have noticed is that I have no option to set a "preferred band" in device manager, as shown in the screen shot :(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot (3).png

Did you move the computer to a new location?  Have any updates been installed?  Firmware update on router? Any new devices or changes to the environment that might encourage interference?

Everything is exactly the same as it was previously when I was using 5ghz. The only things that will have changed are just generic windows updates and other components drivers being updated :/

If your router allows multiple SSID's you could create 1 5Ghz only SSID with a different name and force it to connect to it.

Sometimes it will stay at 2.4Ghz if the signal is stronger and nothing is nudging it to 5Ghz

Thanks @Dujith, this ended up fixing the issue. I still find it strange that it wasn't auto switching to 5ghz like it used to despite the faster speeds that im now getting.

It may be a driver update changed its roaming behaviour or the 5Ghz signal is weaker or suffering more interference so its less inclined to use it.

WiFi adapters are notorious for this issue, its why I have always kept my 5Ghz on its own SSID.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7