Possible Hard Drive Failure?

Xhights

Recently I have noticed a very strange noise coming from my HDD, I have done a lot of research to find out what this could possibly mean but I couldn't find anything. So I came here in the hope that somebody could identify the noise and thus the problem, if there is any. The reason i say "if there is any" is because I recently upgraded most of my PC fans, that meaning the graphics card, 120mm's and PSU, because of this my system has gone from sounding like a jet engine to something more reasonable. This may mean that i just never notice the sound my HDD was making. Anyway, after researching online it seems that i failing HDD makes a constant and consistent noise throughout, which could not be any different to mine, the noise i'm experiencing mainly only comes about when the HDD is in used and has no real rhythm to it.

Its hard to explain the sound so I included a link to a recording of exactly what it sounds like. Bare in mind that this recording was done directly in the PC and right next to the HDD so it may appear louder that in person. In addition to this, at around 15 seconds, I set a file of about 5gb to copy and paste, therefore allowing the full noise of the HDD to be heard. (Clicking near the begging and end are from the mouse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i38pBnujKqU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQmDGCdGW8rTLJe6aY3LSCw

Thanks in advance!

Yep, sounds like it...

But try to use some HD testing software to confirm it, in the past I have used HD Tune (the 15 day trial is OK for testing smart, bad blocks and read errors).

Signatures are stupid.

Backup all your files (if you haven't already).

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yep, sounds like it...

But try to use some HD testing software to confirm it, in the past I have used HD Tune.

I have already and nothing has come up!

Backup all your files (if you haven't already).

Any idea what the problem may be?

Sounds like the head reading the platter to me. Makes sense that it only happens when its in use.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Ive found that hard drives that make alot sound does not mean its about to die, mechanical drives can last years even with issues, does that mean it can die out of the blue? yes. you should try to run a SMART scan http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/index.html might be able to shed some light as to what is wrong, might not be any bad sectors but some other issue.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

hard disk sentinel can tell you everything that is going on getting it, and it will tell you it's health and what to do mate :)

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Ive found that hard drives that make alot sound does not mean its about to die, mechanical drives can last years even with issues, does that mean it can die out of the blue? yes. you should try to run a SMART scan http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/index.html might be able to shed some light as to what is wrong, might not be any bad sectors but some other issue.

Just installed and ran S.M.A.R.T, Disk health as well as performance is almost perfect "good", temperature is 33°C and all SMART information came back as "OK"

Just installed and ran S.M.A.R.T, Disk health as well as performance is almost perfect "good", temperature is 33°C and all SMART information came back as "OK"

that program will log anything and everything that goes on with your hd, you could see what values change and you could see if in reality the HDD is bad or not, but id not keep anything important on it.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

that program will log anything and everything that goes on with your hd, you could see what values change and you could see if in reality the HDD is bad or not, but id not keep anything important on it.

Just done a quick reboot and my most recent event came up as "SMART attribute changed: (C9 - Soft Read Error Rate), Old Value 100, New Value: 253"

I'm guessing this means the drive is bad/dying?

thats fine there errors that went away when you drive tried to retry something the numbers change sometimes on reset.

thats fine there errors that went away when you drive tried to retry something the numbers change sometimes on reset.

I see, well just to be sure i'm going to pick up a new Hard drive in a couple of days and clone this one onto it.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds perfectly normal.

You should hear the seeking of the drive when its working. If it was failing, it would make noticeably louder clicks in a very repetitive way, you'd notice a very latent disk acess, and you would most likey get disk read errors.

Old shit no one cares about but me.