TN or IPS Panel

Snaw
Go to solution Solved by Blasteque,
1 hour ago, Snaw said:

I never used either a TN or IPS, and i dont have stores here in Portugal like you have in america. I dont think i can "see them" first.

I will try to see where i can find a TN panel monitor.

If you've ever seen an LCD monitor of any kind, it was probably a TN.  (As @Stefan Payne mentions above, TNs are well known for changing color and/or brightness when viewed at different vertical angles; this makes them easy to spot.  Obviously when sitting in a chair in front of them this isn't critical if all you do is game [the bottom of the screen will look darker than the top], but is a killer for anything needing quality, like photo or video editing, CAD, animation, Photoshop, etc.)

So much of the choice is subjective; until you know which you prefer, you may not ever get a satisfactory answer here.  At that price point, both of those monitors should be pretty good.  I'd recommend you get the one you feel you can afford.

IPS costs more, but you get more.  However, you may not need any of that.  You may need to just let your wallet make the choice.

Hello guys. So, my brain is blocked after 4 days of research about this topic.
I play a lot of FPS (CS:GO, COD, PUBG) and i also love to play Skyrim (with a lot of visual mods for better graphics).

I know IPS brings a better color/image (which is perfect for Skyrim) but is more 150$ than a TN Panel.

This is my problem. I am confused about choosing either of this monitors:

Asus PG279Q (IPS)
Asus PG278QR (TN)

One is IPS (better for Skyrim) the other is TN (better for FPS). 
For what i found, TN panels suffer from color branding and IPS suffer from glow and blacklight bleeding, but this is told by some people, not everyone who owns both TN and IPS monitors.

Main questions: will i notice the 3ms? isn't the TN panel enough for skyrim? Is it worth to pay more 150$ for an IPS?

Honestly 3ms is plenty good enough for Skyrim.  For CSGO and FPS heavy stuff you'd maybe want a 1ms time.  Whats more important is the refresh rate (ie 60hz vs 120hz vs 144 hz) to prevent screen tearing at higher frame rates. 

I would go for the IPS in this case.  Its best if you can see them in person to see how they handle brights versus blacks some screens do great on brights but horrible with blacks. 

The problem is that i play a lot, both FPS games and Open World Games like Skyrim.
So, i either choose 1ms and less quality image, or 4ms and better quality image.
Is 1ms to 4ms noticable? 

5 minutes ago, Snaw said:

The problem is that i play a lot, both FPS games and Open World Games like Skyrim.
So, i either choose 1ms and less quality image, or 4ms and better quality image.
Is 1ms to 4ms noticable? 

Even 5ms is fine, you won't really notice unless your whole life has been crazy response time monitors. I use a 5ms IPS for gaming, very good monitor that's not even made for gaming. Since the IPS monitor you're looking at was made for gaming, it will be suitable.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Never used a monitor more than 60hz and 1080p lol... I'm gonna notice a huge difference with a 164hz 1440p g-sync.
The problem is i can't figure this out... I love Skyrim, and i also love competitive games.

Well my monitor is 4ms and there is zero mouse lag and I have vsync ON.  There is just motion blur thats all.  Throw the game on your TV if you can, and youll get CRT like experience......

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Now the real question is: is it wort it to pay more 150$ for a IPS instead a TN?

5 minutes ago, Snaw said:

Now the real question is: is it wort it to pay more 150$ for a IPS instead a TN?

In my opinion, yes. I used to use old office 1080p monitors, my IPS is what I would consider my first real monitor. You'll be very happy with it for a long time, as long as you leave it out of direct sunlight.

8 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Well my monitor is 4ms and there is zero mouse lag and I have vsync ON.  There is just motion blur thats all.  Throw the game on your TV if you can, and youll get CRT like experience......

The pixel response time won't affect input lag, and motion blur is caused in game, not by the monitor, and fortunately, the monitor linked above is Gsync, so no worries with v sync issues.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Pro gamer choose TN over IPS because

1. TN usually has less input lag than IPS. every ms does matter to them. (don't confuse between pixel response and input lag, they're different)

2. washed-out color of TN actually benefit competitive gaming like CS. because you can see a bit clearer on the dark corner of the map.

From my experience. For pixel response. 1ms and 4ms different are very small and trust me, you won't notice it (unless you play Osu). 4ms is already low enough to prevent ghosting effect. I would go for IPS because of better color and much much better viewing angle (I usually get annoyed by bad viewing angle of TN)

$150 higher is quite worth it i guess, if you plan to use it for 5 years+

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

If you play FPS games I would recommend TN,  If you are a hardcore desktop user with minimal gaming then go with IPS.  It's not a matter of worth 150 more,  Their just different technology,  Hardcore photoshop and what not users use IPS,  Hardcore gamers use TN and your desktop will be very good too.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

I'm confused because everyone has a different opinion. Most people say IPS image/color is much better but some have problems with glow and bleeding(not talking about the viewing angle). Others say TN is fine and the only difference is viewing angle but some have problems with color branding (i dont care about viewing angle).

I think i'm going with the cheapest one (TN) and if i don't like it, i'll just trade to an IPS.

52 minutes ago, Snaw said:

I know IPS brings a better color/image (which is perfect for Skyrim) but is more 150$ than a TN Panel.

Its not only that, its also better viewing angle. It might be enough to move your head with a shitty TN Panel to see some differences.

So the IPS should be recommended. If you don't have the money for a Gaming Screen, get a different one. Because TN can only be used for gaming while IPS is more versatile and also gives you fun for watching movies and doing office shit...

The last TN Screen I used was some 19" Acer shit over 10 years ago. After that only IPS, with one Exception - wich was S-PVA...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Snaw said:

I'm confused because everyone has a different opinion. Most people say IPS image/color is much better but some have problems with glow and bleeding(not talking about the viewing angle). Others say TN is fine and the only difference is viewing angle but some have problems with color branding (i dont care about viewing angle).

I think i'm going with the cheapest one (TN) and if i don't like it, i'll just trade to an IPS.

There will always be contradictory opinions because:

1. Different people have different priorities, and

2. Every monitor is different.  (I have an HP IPS that is crap and an Overlord IPS that's breathtaking.)

I switched to IPS years ago and will never go back to TN and I play lots of FPS.  The performance difference is now mostly negligible and the image quality difference is huge -- BUT that's my opinion, with the monitors I own, with the use case I have.  For you, you're going to have to make a best guess and learn from the experience.

Some additional things to keep in mind:

a.  Cheap monitors are cheap.  You won't see any of the claimed advantages of either technology if you go cheap. (The monitors you linked should be decent.)

b.  Manufactures do not measure performance the same way and don't report the results the same way.  Example: 1000-to-1 contrast ratio seems pretty straight forward, but was it with adaptive brightness?  At what brightness level was that achieved?  Was it an all white screen compared to an all black screen, or a white pixel next to a black pixel?  Was that a random test sample?  90% compliance?  95%? Etc.

c.  TN generally can achieve higher brightness than IPS.  If your gaming space is dark, then IPS will probably look a lot better than TN; but if your gaming space is brightly lit (window right behind you, etc.), then TN might be a better choice.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Its not only that, its also better viewing angle. It might be enough to move your head with a shitty TN Panel to see some differences.

So the IPS should be recommended. If you don't have the money for a Gaming Screen, get a different one. Because TN can only be used for gaming while IPS is more versatile and also gives you fun for watching movies and doing office shit...

The last TN Screen I used was some 19" Acer shit over 10 years ago. After that only IPS, with one Exception - wich was S-PVA...

The monitor is right in front of me. Viewing angle is not a problem for me.
The question is, is the image from TN bearable? Dont compare it to the IPS, i just want to know if TN colors are fine. I dont need "the best" image quality ever, no, i just want to play skyrim.

53 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

There will always be contradictory opinions because:

1. Different people have different priorities, and

2. Every monitor is different.  (I have an HP IPS that is crap and an Overlord IPS that's breathtaking.)

I switched to IPS years ago and will never go back to TN and I play lots of FPS.  The performance difference is now mostly negligible and the image quality difference is huge -- BUT that's my opinion, with the monitors I own, with the use case I have.  For you, you're going to have to make a best guess and learn from the experience.

Some additional things to keep in mind:

a.  Cheap monitors are cheap.  You won't see any of the claimed advantages of either technology if you go cheap. (The monitors you linked should be decent.)

b.  Manufactures do not measure performance the same way and don't report the results the same way.  Example: 1000-to-1 contrast ratio seems pretty straight forward, but was it with adaptive brightness?  At what brightness level was that achieved?  Was it an all white screen compared to an all black screen, or a white pixel next to a black pixel?  Was that a random test sample?  90% compliance?  95%? Etc.

c.  TN generally can achieve higher brightness than IPS.  If your gaming space is dark, then IPS will probably look a lot better than TN; but if your gaming space is brightly lit (window right behind you, etc.), then TN might be a better choice.

Well, i have a window like 3 meters for me on my left. The monitor should take some light from that. At night, of course, it's not full dark, because i have leds in my computer and behind my desk.

My main question is if the TN panel is really bad? it's bearable? I just want to play games, with a decent image quality.

My monitor is TN, and looks just fine,,, the LED backlight is the huge difference maker IMO ,, not tn vs ips ,,, .  If you had a choice to go IPS non led ,, "as we know all monitors now have LED, Im just trying to make a example"  IPS and no LED vs, TN with LED,  I would take the TN with LED in a heartbeat.  Now of course both TN and IPS now a days are LED.  Im trying to say if your a casual user and gamer,, I really dont think your going to notice a difference going TN or IPS.  If your a pro artist behind photoshop then you might nitpick and want a IPS over TN.  But if you just surf the web,, view pics watch videos and also do gaming then TN will be just fine for you.

10 minutes ago, Snaw said:

The question is, is the image from TN bearable? Dont compare it to the IPS, i just want to know if TN colors are fine. I dont need "the best" image quality ever, no, i just want to play skyrim.

Well, i have a window like 3 meters for me on my left. The monitor should take some light from that. At night, of course, it's not full dark, because i have leds in my computer and behind my desk.

My main question is if the TN panel is really bad? it's bearable? I just want to play games, with a decent image quality.

If you use a TN panel now and have no problems with the picture quality, then it would be ok. I recommend going to a store like best buy and ask if you can see a side by side comparison. The deeper blacks do look quite nice for games such as skyrim

Primary PC:

I never used either a TN or IPS, and i dont have stores here in Portugal like you have in america. I dont think i can "see them" first.

1 hour ago, Snaw said:

You say that now.

But for example, if a mosquito stings your behind, and you scratch it, you'll see a difference with TN. And due to that it might look weird.

With IPS you don't have that issue.

Also TN are only 6bit IIRC, rest is dithered, so the colors might be a bit off. WIth IPS you might (or might not) have a not so great black area but the rest is way way better. 

Anyway, for this price, get the IPS; because its the best with the least disadvantages.

TN has the most disadvantages...

1 hour ago, Snaw said:

You certainly have seen some Displays, have you?

Cheap phones have a TN Panel for example (my LG K3 has).

ANd I'm not from 'Murica and can still see screens in store.

And in the last couple of years, it changed from completely TN (100%!) to mostly IPS or a mixture out of TN and IPS.

You see the difference with a simple knee bend.

1 hour ago, Snaw said:

If you've ever seen an LCD monitor of any kind, it was probably a TN.  (As @Stefan Payne mentions above, TNs are well known for changing color and/or brightness when viewed at different vertical angles; this makes them easy to spot.  Obviously when sitting in a chair in front of them this isn't critical if all you do is game [the bottom of the screen will look darker than the top], but is a killer for anything needing quality, like photo or video editing, CAD, animation, Photoshop, etc.)

So much of the choice is subjective; until you know which you prefer, you may not ever get a satisfactory answer here.  At that price point, both of those monitors should be pretty good.  I'd recommend you get the one you feel you can afford.

IPS costs more, but you get more.  However, you may not need any of that.  You may need to just let your wallet make the choice.

10 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

So much of the choice is subjective;

Until you have an actually good screen in front of you and never ever want to go back...

Right now I'm using two Samsung (S24A850, S27D850) and both are awesome.

The shittiest screens I have are the 32" Aldi TV, a 27" AOC with 3D stuff and the Dell U2410...

No TN in da house (except for Laptops and the LG Phone)

Well, i was plagued with a really bad 17" CRT in my childhood. It had a whopping 58kHz and was from Philipps (17C) yeah...

Max. usable resolution: 800x600 with 85Hz.

1024x768 was possible but only with flickering 70Hz...

9 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Until you have an actually good screen in front of you and never ever want to go back...

Right now I'm using two Samsung (S24A850, S27D850) and both are awesome.

The shittiest screens I have are the 32" Aldi TV, a 27" AOC with 3D stuff and the Dell U2410...

No TN in da house (except for Laptops and the LG Phone)

I agree completely.  I stopped using a TN because of gaming.  I had an IPS I used for 3dsMax and photoshop and a TN for gaming; I came to hate it.  Dark levels just turned black; to get any visibility you had to crank the brightness which gave eye strain or crank the gamma in the game which looked bad.  (this was before LED back-lighting became common)

Despite this, there are many people out there that prefer TN.  I would guess it's because they have never used a good IPS (they are expensive), but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and admit that different people have different tastes.

4 minutes ago, Blasteque said:

Despite this, there are many people out there that prefer TN.  I would guess it's because they have never used a good IPS

Yes, that is also my observation as well, that whenever someone recommending a TN Panel comes around and you ask him, usually he hasn't seen a (good) IPS screen before...

Well, you need to know the good stuff to apreciate it. If TN is all you know, you'd live with that...

7 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, that is also my observation as well, that whenever someone recommending a TN Panel comes around and you ask him, usually he hasn't seen a (good) IPS screen before...

Well, you need to know the good stuff to apreciate it. If TN is all you know, you'd live with that...

That's why i want to see a TN first, so i dont know what a IPS is ahahah.
I think i'll give more 100€ and go for the IPS... Jesus Christ, almost 800€ for a monitor... With that price i could buy another 1080 and still have 200€

16 minutes ago, Snaw said:

That's why i want to see a TN first, so i dont know what a IPS is ahahah.
I think i'll give more 100€ and go for the IPS... Jesus Christ, almost 800€ for a monitor... With that price i could buy another 1080 and still have 200€

I paid only ~350€ or so per screen.

Though they are standard 60Hz models...

But that's the price you pay for double the refresh rate...