VPN question

Aadi
Go to solution Solved by Sheldon,

Use Tor. Its easier and you can run it off a USB stick https://www.torproject.org/

Ok...I was reading the sticky about VPN and it said that it can hide traffic so that your ISP cannot see what you are doing. My school has a bunch of website restrictions, and they block a bunch of stuff. If I were to setup VPN on my home router (RT-N66U), Could I access it from School and bypass the website restrictions?

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Well if you use OpenVPN as a client you could but your school could block the ports that some VPN's use so you would need to try and see if they have the ports open that you need. 

or you can just put it through a proxy website to bypass the restrictions but they will see this.

VPN's also can be seen through and they can tell exactly what your looking at, its used more for downloading and hiding exactly what you are downloading.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yes you could.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

Altecice could you tell me what a proxy is and how it works? I'm not exactly a geek when it comes to networking

If you can install OpenVPN at school then you should be all good, I've used it at school before.

Build 1: 4770k (H100i) | 2 x MSI 280X Gaming 3G | Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero | Corsair RM850 | 16GB Corsiar Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Obsidian 750D |

Build 2: 3770k (Titan Fenrir Evo) | Powercool 3GB HD7970 Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair TX750 | 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 2133MHz Inwin Fanqua |

or you can just put it through a proxy website to bypass the restrictions but they will see this.

VPN's also can be seen through and they can tell exactly what your looking at, its used more for downloading and hiding exactly what you are downloading.

They can not see in a VPN connection. That is a tunnel to the house. They can see that it is a VPN connection but not what you are looking at. 

Altecice could you tell me what a proxy is and how it works? I'm not exactly a geek when it comes to networking

A proxy won't work for you. They will see and stop it..... 

Thanks Sheldon! I will have to check it out at my school

VPN can sometimes be a pain to get running.

Try setting up your home PC for remote desktop. Chances are they don't have port 3389 blocked, and if they do then you can easily change the RDP port. This would get you to most non-media intensive websites like facebook. Also, I doubt that they are actively monitoring your connection or IO from the PC.

When i was in school, I had a terminal server setup that I let some other students use for bypassing the firewall.

What do you mean by change the RDP port?

Most schools block pretty much any proxy website you can find.  and i thought vpns encrypted traffic from the computer right to the exit node so shouldnt it be impossible for the school to see through without an encryption key or by hacking into the exit node?

My Meme Proudly Featured on the Live-Stream: http://prodigydoo.com/ImageStorage/memes/linus-meme-6.jpg
Some Threads You Should Get involved in: Linus and Slick Memes     Youtubers on the LTT Forum      The List of Tech YouTubers (Contribute!)      Disable AdBlock for Linus (Guide)

• 6 months later...