Looking for new GPU

Mahajna

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if i can get some help with picking a new gpu for my pc. i got a few questions to ask. First, im probably going to get a GTX 1080Ti chip, i was planning to get normal 1080 but i was told the Ti version is way better. currently in my mind these 2 cards: MSI GTX 1080 Ti DUKE 11GB OC  and  Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11GB. Which one is better? (PS. The MSI card is cheaper.) also, do you gusy recommend me buying from MSI, honestly never tried their products and i wanna know if they are as good as asus or gigabyte. 

Second, lets say i bought the MSI 1080Ti, do i need to upgrade my Power Supply, my current one is 550W and has only one 8pin PCI-E, second plug is 6pin. and since the new gpu requries two 8pin (and recommendation 600W)  I'm not sure if that's gonna be a problem. 

Third thing, my current CPU is kinda old, mine is i3 4160 @ 3.6ghz , will that be a problem if i buy the new gpu and run it on the old cpu. I will post my pc specs so you guys can have a better decision. 

Thanks in advance. 

Johnny,

specs.PNG

2 minutes ago, Mahajna said:

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if i can get some help with picking a new gpu for my pc. i got a few questions to ask. First, im probably going to get a GTX 1080Ti chip, i was planning to get normal 1080 but i was told the Ti version is way better. currently in my mind these 2 cards: MSI GTX 1080 Ti DUKE 11GB OC  and  Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11GB. Which one is better? (PS. The MSI card is cheaper.)

Second, lets say i bought the MSI 1080Ti, do i need to upgrade my Power Supply, my current one is 550W and has only one 8pin PCI-E, second plug is 6pin. and since the new gpu requries two 8pin (and recommendation 600W)  I'm not sure if that's gonna be a problem. 

Third thing, my current CPU is kinda old, mine is i3 4160 @ 3.6ghz , will that be a problem if i buy the new gpu and run it on the old cpu. I will post my pc specs so you guys can have a better decision. 

Thanks in advance. 

Johnny,

specs.PNG

MSI GTX 1080 Ti DUKE 11GB OC is better, but you might wanna buy a RTX card, i think the 2080 is about as fast as the 1080ti

I would start with upgrading windows to windows 10....  8.1 is so bad :(

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Might as well get a 2080Ti. Its faster than the 2080.

Anything 1080 or better is going to absolutely choke on your Haswell dual core. So you should also upgrade to the new i9-9900K and Z390 motherboard.

If you don't know your PSU make/model you should get a good one at least 600W.

What about i7 8700K? 

6 minutes ago, ad1das said:

I would start with upgrading windows to windows 10....  8.1 is so bad :(

Tbh i feel like windows 10 more laggy sometimes, thats why im sticking with the 8.1

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Anything 1080 or better is going to absolutely choke on your Haswell dual core. So you should also upgrade to the new i9-9900K and Z390 motherboard.

dude thats a $2300 upgrade. why not get a 1000 psu or a 12 tb hdd, as well. he's asking between the two 

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, huilun02 said:

Good idea

whose mans

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

22 hours ago, huilun02 said:

You suggestion is like there is unlimited budget involved.. Suggest better please..

Tell to go 2080Ti, and Premium i9 CPU and motherboard, and upgrade the PSU.. Dude, not all the people here have so much money to throw only at PC, don't forget that there's a real life to live which needs to be taken care with money also..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

How do you have a 4k display and that Cpu? I'd start over with a new build, with a more modest GPU. You can get a 1070 for around 250 USD used these days, should be a huge upgrade over your 750ti either way. Putting in a 1080ti into that PC would not only make it completely unbalanced, you won't even be fully utilizing all the performance of the GPU because of the bottleneck.