External GPU for MSI CX61 16GD

Draake

Hi,

i have a a MSI laptop which I use for mobile gaming. I wanted to upgrade the GPU as it is by far the weakest part of the laptop (Nvidia 740m) I wanted to look at putting on a external PCI-e port so I could upgrade the GPU. It seems like you require an x16 port to be able to do this and wanted to confirm if I had one of those before buying the external GPU setup. There is no marking on the motherboard next to the available ports but I have attached some pictures if anyone is able to help. 

Spec is 

i7 4702mq

16gb ram 

geforce gt 740m 2gb

250gb SSD

1tb HDD

MS-16GB motherboard. 

Thanks for your help. 

D474676B-A55E-4702-B75F-9CB175B7A9FC.jpeg

79C20079-28A2-4D3B-88DD-DC4C3BC74F02.jpeg

15EA24BB-04AF-4F62-809C-7A003764A050.jpeg

I don't think you can attach a eGPU to this laptop. The 1st picture just show the backside of an SD card slot and the 2nd picture shows a port I've never seen before. So I don't think it's a PCIe port. Also in order for it to work (if it had a PCIe port) you would need to mod the underside of the back plate or leave it off completely when you want to use the eGPU.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OK thanks for your help. Looks like i will either need to stick with teh 740m as it seems to be soldered onto the motherboard or upgrade my laptop!

• 4 years later...
On 9/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, Draake said:

How is it possible that no one knows what this port is for? It's been 2 whole days that Im looking but I can't find anything and it's driving me crazy??? 

79C20079-28A2-4D3B-88DD-DC4C3BC74F02.jpeg

• 10 months later...

on the second pic MAYBE you can take out the Wi-Fi card and use a mini pcie 1x to 16x adapter for egpu(works on some laptops), no idea if it will work but I have the (sorta) same laptop MSI cx61 2pc i7 4700mq (upgraded) and a GTX 820m, I was looking to see if anyone has done an egpu for that laptop, I dont wanna burn $100 to do this without knowing if it will work,