Question about NVMe M.2 SSD

vik_joy
Go to solution Solved by dgsddfgdfhgs,
2 minutes ago, vik_joy said:

will this be ok?

make it simple, after install windows on SSD, put the 2 drives back in. then boot,

you will see boot option to choose, pick SSD.

In windows you can change settings to boot from, so you dont have erase anything out of old drives.

only deal with it when space really matters

Hi,

I'm planning for building a new system.

To give a bit of background, I had a very old system (Intel DH55TC Motherboard, Intel i3 530 CPU) and after planning for the new build I selected the HDDs (2x 2TB 3.5'" Drive)to be reused in the new system.

Now in my new build I have gone for AMD (Ryzen 2600 CPU), so got a Gigabyte Aorus  X470 Ultra Gaming motherboard which also features a M.2 PCIe port and I was thinking of getting a Samsung 970 EVO 250 GB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD.

My questions are:

1. Can I install windows 10 normally onto the SSD? I have already made the Windows 10 USB installation from Microsoft Tool, will that do? I have not been able to set up the system as I'm still waiting for a few parts to arrive, so I was thinking to get the SSD as well.

2. Can I use my old system's HDDs normally (ie., just by plugging them onto the board) with my new motherboard? they were formatted with MBR partitioning I think, hope that won't cause any issue, am I right? I can't afford to format them, as they contain data.

P.S. I'm not interested in doing any RAID system.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, vik_joy said:

1. Can I install windows 10 normally onto the SSD? I have already made the Windows 10 USB installation from Microsoft Tool, will that do? I have not been able to set up the system as I'm still waiting for a few parts to arrive, so I was thinking to get the SSD as well.

2. Can I use my old system's HDDs normally (ie., just by plugging them onto the board) with my new motherboard? they were formatted with MBR partitioning I think, hope that won't cause any issue, am I right? I can't afford to format them, as they contain data.

1. yes to all

2. also yes 

just to be clear that "2x 2TB 3.5'" Drive" have sata ports right,?

1. Yes.

2. Yes. But leave them disconnected until you have installed windows on the SSD to make sure there's no mix up with boot method.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Spoiler

I can't figure out how to remove this spoiler on mobile

Make sure you've got some privacy on that first boot off the ssd. That'll get messy.

Spoiler

I mean, you'll probably spill your drink with how quick it loads.

Thanks a Lot guys.

29 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

1. yes to all

2. also yes 

just to be clear that "2x 2TB 3.5'" Drive" have sata ports right,?

Yes they have sata ports.

I forgot one probably important thing, one of my HDD still has Windows 10 installed, so after I install Windows in the SSD and plug the HDDs back in, i need to format the HDD partition with windows already installed (because it was used my old system), or can i do this:

1. plug the hdd (ssd not connected yet) and boot from USB and format the old C drive only

2. turn off computer, unplug hdd, connect ssd

3. install windows in ssd from usb

4. plug in the hdds as just normal data drives and done.

will this be ok?

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, vik_joy said:

will this be ok?

make it simple, after install windows on SSD, put the 2 drives back in. then boot,

you will see boot option to choose, pick SSD.

In windows you can change settings to boot from, so you dont have erase anything out of old drives.

only deal with it when space really matters

5 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

eh, it's easier to press F8 after POST (to select boot device) than to juggle around. you could finish your installation to the SSD, power off and re-insert your disks, press F8 after POST, select to boot from the SSD, and then log in and format the old drive in file explorer.

Thanks, this seems a much better solution to mine, so yes, I can do this after i check for any important data I may have in that partition.