Upgrading NVME SSD (Smaller to larger)

reptileexperts

Upgrading the nVME SSD that is currently in my XPS 9575 from a 256 Sky drive to a 1tb Samsung 960. The issues I face is the samsung does not want to do a clean install when installed directly onto the motherboard, so I can't do a windows fresh install on it. I'm using a M key nVME external enclosure (one of only 2 on the market) via usb C interface, I can see the samsung drive when I place it in the enclosure, I can partition it, I can format it, but of course I can't clone the internal 256 drive due to partition size differences. I can't use the samsung magician software that handles this flawlessly because when the drive is in the external enclosure it reads it as a generic drive instead of a samsung drive so magician will not work. 

Do I need to instal drivers for the samsung drive to help it see it so the magician software will work? 

Do I need to do a cmd clean on the ssd in order to wipe any and all partitians on the drive that may have been created by putting it in the external enclosure for me to just do a clean windows instal, THEN use samsung to do the clone? Issue here is when I put my internal nVME into the external box, nothing recognizes it - at all. Not my desktop via usb c, or the laptop, it wont boot from the usb drive because it just does not recognize it. Put the drive back in the laptop, and boots just fine. 

Do I need to use my main desktop rig with 2 nVME slots, to put both drives in and then use samsung magician to clone them ignoring any driver issues that will be present since I'd have to pull my actual desktop boot  drive sine its nVME as well. 

I have to be missing something, this is an incredibly simple task, or is dell blocking it somehow? 

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!

29 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

I have to be missing something

You have a number of issues here, first and foremost the fact that Windows won't do a clean install, I'd be looking very closely at that first, before I proceed to other issues.

30 minutes ago, reptileexperts said:

course I can't clone the internal 256 drive due to partition size differences

If you use the right software (norton GHOST) you can....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Drive is fixed. Installed windows fresh. Put the other drive in the enclosure. Cant view any of the files. . . Beginning to hate dell

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!