VeloSSD vs PrimoCache

Vasllo

So, I want a caching software for my setup (250GB 850 Evo and 2TB Barracuda), but PrimoCache is 3x the price of VeloSSD, and in brazilian reals, the diference is reals... So, is it worth the extra $$ for PrimoCache of am I gonna be just fine with VeloSSD? I've been looking around about these and didn't find a hard answer, so I'm hoping someone using these might come here to help me out.

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB + Ugreen Vertical MouseCase: Corsair Carbide 400C

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What os are you on? Windows 10 has storage spaces built in that does drive tiering and will work fine here.

Oh, really? I am using W10, how do I use that? And does it work like these softwares?

CPU: i5 10600KFMotherboard: Asus B460M-Plus | Cooling: Gamemmaxx 400 XT w/ Corsair ML120 Elite + 1 ML120 Elite exhaust + 2 ML140 Elite intake

RAM: 2x16GB Netac DDR4 3200MT/s @2666CL13 | GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual +200/+1200MHz/+5%

Storage: 2TB XPG S70 Blade, WD Blue NVMe 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TBPSU: Corsair TX550M

Monitor: 2x Pichau Cepheus Fuse 28" 4k 144Hz HDR | Keyboard: Corsair K70 mk.2 Cherry MX Red

Headphone/headset: Kuba Disco Pro/Gamer + Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro | OS: Windows 11 Home

1 minute ago, Mateus Campello said:

Oh, really? I am using W10, how do I use that? And does it work like these softwares?

yet it makes one tiered volumes from a hdd and a ssd. You need to use power shell to set it up

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yet it makes one tiered volumes from a hdd and a ssd. You need to use power shell to set it up

Is this a good tutorial? https://diywhitebox.com/how-to-configure-tiered-storage-spaces-on-windows-10/

Btw, currently my Windows is installed, along with other software on my SSD, is there a way to just move my Windows installation to my HD or will I have to install it from scratch? Like install it on my HD, install my software then format my SSD to use it.

Is this a good tutorial? https://diywhitebox.com/how-to-configure-tiered-storage-spaces-on-windows-10/

Btw, currently my Windows is installed, along with other software on my SSD, is there a way to just move my Windows installation to my HD or will I have to install it from scratch? Like install it on my HD, install my software then format my SSD to use it.

Yep thats what I used.

You can't use this with your boot drives, so you need a extra ssd and hdd.

If you just have a hdd, Id just run it without caching, the difference isn't that big and your ram is also used as a cache in windows.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep thats what I used.

If you just have a hdd, Id just run it without caching, the difference isn't that big and your ram is also used as a cache in windows.

Oh shit, there goes my hope. I was hoping to use it on my HD as boot drive with my SSD caching it. Oh well, back we go to VeloSSD vs PrimoCache.

I hope someone comes over to vouche for VeloSSD cuz I can't pay for PrimoCache...

Oh shit, there goes my hope. I was hoping to use it on my HD as boot drive with my SSD caching it. Oh well, back we go to VeloSSD vs PrimoCache.

I hope someone comes over to vouche for VeloSSD cuz I can't pay for PrimoCache...

Really keep your ssd as boot, thats what needs the speed.

Just run without caching for now, Its not a huge difference, and get anouther 120gb or 240gb ssd later on. Its not a huge difference.

Why not try the software it has a free trial?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Really keep your ssd as boot, thats what needs the speed.

Just run without caching for now, Its not a huge difference, and get anouther 120gb or 240gb ssd later on. Its not a huge difference.

Why not try the software it has a free trial?

Because PrimoCache is really out of reach for me atm, and VeloSSD is limited af in the free trial version. Also have the issue that I'll have to move my OS to my HD before trying those out, so that's a hassle.

If VeloSSD solves my problem, I'll buy it, if it sucks and I have to get PrimoCache, I might aswell get a cheapo used 120GB SSD for the same money.

2 minutes ago, Mateus Campello said:

Because PrimoCache is really out of reach for me atm, and VeloSSD is limited af in the free trial version. Also have the issue that I'll have to move my OS to my HD before trying those out, so that's a hassle.

If VeloSSD solves my problem, I'll buy it, if it sucks and I have to get PrimoCache, I might aswell get a cheapo used 120GB SSD for the same money.

If it requires moving the os to the hdd, don't do it. You really want the ssd for boot, its so much faster.

Id just wait till you have a bit more money. 240gb ssd should be enough room for a game or two aswell.

24 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If it requires moving the os to the hdd, don't do it. You really want the ssd for boot, its so much faster.

Id just wait till you have a bit more money. 240gb ssd should be enough room for a game or two aswell.

My PC is taking about 1min for a full boot, dunno why, sometimes it goes faster, but lately has been like that, sounds like too much for me, and using this software, even with the OS on the HD, it's going to cache it all on the SSD, so it's going to be pretty much the same. And my SSD does fit a couple games or more lighter games, but I've been switching from huge games so much I think this would make everything smoother than manually swapping games from HD to SSD.

51 minutes ago, Mateus Campello said:

My PC is taking about 1min for a full boot, dunno why, sometimes it goes faster, but lately has been like that, sounds like too much for me, and using this software, even with the OS on the HD, it's going to cache it all on the SSD, so it's going to be pretty much the same. And my SSD does fit a couple games or more lighter games, but I've been switching from huge games so much I think this would make everything smoother than manually swapping games from HD to SSD.

the probably is caching isn't performace when booting will be a good amount slower than just using a ssd. Also there is overhead.

What programs do you have running and what ssd? 1 min seems slow.

Really just use the drives separtly for now. It will work best here for now.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the probably is caching isn't performace when booting will be a good amount slower than just using a ssd. Also there is overhead.

What programs do you have running and what ssd? 1 min seems slow.

Really just use the drives separtly for now. It will work best here for now.

I run Steam, Discord, Chrome, iTunes, iCUE, MSI Afterburner, HWinfo64, Panda Anti-Virus and some other small stuff in startup. And it is a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. I do find it weirdly slow, maybe it's my old ass CPU's fault?

I run Steam, Discord, Chrome, iTunes, iCUE, MSI Afterburner, HWinfo64, Panda Anti-Virus and some other small stuff in startup. And it is a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. I do find it weirdly slow, maybe it's my old ass CPU's fault?

Run crystal disk mark and show what you get. Is it the 2600k? Thats probably not helping, but it should be able to boot faster.

31 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Run crystal disk mark and show what you get. Is it the 2600k? Thats probably not helping, but it should be able to boot faster.

Yes, 2600k 4.5GHz. I guess the degradation compared to results I saw online is due to Spectre and Meltdown, but that shouldn't be enough to cause such a long start up, should it?

image.png.abae0265be7940e71453c9248503ed96.png

56 minutes ago, Mateus Campello said:

Yes, 2600k 4.5GHz. I guess the degradation compared to results I saw online is due to Spectre and Meltdown, but that shouldn't be enough to cause such a long start up, should it?

image.png.abae0265be7940e71453c9248503ed96.png

SSD seems fine, probalby just extra stuff at bootup. A fresh install will speed it up if you want that.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

SSD seems fine, probalby just extra stuff at bootup. A fresh install will speed it up if you want that.

I guess it doesn't bother me enough for now, but I'll do it at some point, and honestly, I really want PrimoCache, so I'll see if I can get it. Maybe they have a discount on black friday, I hope, lol.

17 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

did you give the trial a go? How much of a difference does it make?

Not really, I'll have to deal with the windows swap to the HD before I try it.

10 minutes ago, Mateus Campello said:

Not really, I'll have to deal with the windows swap to the HD before I try it.

Don't do that, the system will be much slower. Any ssd caching will be a good amount slower than just using the ssd. Keep your layout for now, its pretty good.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Don't do that, the system will be much slower. Any ssd caching will be a good amount slower than just using the ssd. Keep your layout for now, its pretty good.

Yeah, I'll do that, don't have money to do anything else atm. And the ssd caching results I saw match ssd results, so I don't think it'll be slower.

9 minutes ago, Mateus Campello said:

Yeah, I'll do that, don't have money to do anything else atm. And the ssd caching results I saw match ssd results, so I don't think it'll be slower.

I have messed around with things like this before, its much slower than a ssd. For boot you want a ssd if you can, the cache will be slower

You have a 2600k, so you have intel hdd caching built into your board. Just get a 60gb or bigger ssd(look for used, or you can get a new 120gb ssd for like 25 dollars on amazon). Then use that for your hdd.

On 9/9/2018 at 2:43 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep thats what I used.

You should try PrimoCache, there's a very big difference. It's especially noticeable in open world games. Storage Spaces isn't really designed for what the OP wants. It's not programmed specifically for caching.

Windows only caches exe files, so it has very little effect on games.

@OP: I've never used VeloSSD, but PrimoCache has a very long trial so you can test it out yourself.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Storage Spaces isn't really designed for what the OP wants. It's not programmed specifically for caching.

Huh? thats how storage spaces works. Have you ever used it? This is different than ready boost

13 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

You should try PrimoCache, there's a very big difference. It's especially noticeable in open world games. Storage Spaces isn't really designed for what the OP wants. It's not programmed specifically for caching.

Windows only caches exe files, so it has very little effect on games.

@OP: I've never used VeloSSD, but PrimoCache has a very long trial so you can test it out yourself.

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Huh? thats how storage spaces works. Have you ever used it? This is different than ready boost

Dang, I was ready to post here that I made my mind and was going to buy an A400 240GB whenever I can to use with Storage Spaces, now I'm more confused.