Are either of these External drives good or bad?

Greetings! I am planning on getting one of these two external hard drives:

WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive

Or

Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive

Has anyone used either of these? are they good or bad? (or ugly?)

anyone see anything wrong with them that I might be missing because I'm blind?

I plan on using it for a Guff drive, just to put my stuff that I don't plan to use anytime soon, (videos, photos, backups etc.)

Any advice would be appreciated!

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

19 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Greetings! I am planning on getting one of these two external hard drives:

WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive

Or

Seagate Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive

Has anyone used either of these? are they good or bad? (or ugly?)

anyone see anything wrong with them that I might be missing because I'm blind?

I plan on using it for a Guff drive, just to put my stuff that I don't plan to use anytime soon, (videos, photos, backups etc.)

Any advice would be appreciated!

For full details, you'll want to take the actual model numbers of these drives and search them on reddit.com/r/datahoarder and reddit.com/r/homelab to do some research. Personally I'd go with the WD MyBook because you have a chance to get WD Red (or whites, which are OEM/unbranded Red) drives inside, while those Seagates are usually SMR drives - fine for long term archiving, but can be painfully slow.

That being said, whether the drives are good or bad will depend on everything from the moon cycle during the day they rolled off the production line to the number of times retail store employees have played football with the boxes during inventory / stock take. One thing is for sure though, and that is all drives are dying the moment they're powered on, so backup anything you cannot re-download.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

One thing is for sure though, and that is all drives are dying the moment they're powered on, so backup anything you cannot re-download.

So if the drives die, they are all gone thus All stuff is gone with it?

this was largely going to be used for backing things up, would buying two be a bad idea? and then just have everything on both?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

1 hour ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

So if the drives die, they are all gone thus All stuff is gone with it?

this was largely going to be used for backing things up, would buying two be a bad idea? and then just have everything on both?

Um... yes. That's what happens when a drive dies. The stuff stored on the drive is gone, or I mean, you can pay a data recovery company a couple grand to try to recover it, but you're just better having it backed up in the first place on multiple drives in multiple locations. Personally, I have a set of redundant mirrored drives at home, with all my crucial stuff stored on DropBox, and things like photos stored on another external Samsung T500 SSD.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Um... yes. That's what happens when a drive dies. The stuff stored on the drive is gone, or I mean, you can pay a data recovery company a couple grand to try to recover it, but you're just better having it backed up in the first place on multiple drives in multiple locations. Personally, I have a set of redundant mirrored drives at home, with all my crucial stuff stored on DropBox, and things like photos stored on another external Samsung T500 SSD.

Sorry, but "all drives are dying the moment they're powered on" is really confusing me, Could you please explain?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

7 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Sorry, but "all drives are dying the moment they're powered on" is really confusing me, Could you please explain?

Sorry, what I mean is that anything with mechanical parts is wearing out when it's in operation or powered on. This means that while the average lifespan of a hard drive is 4-6 years, you can have a drive die 10 seconds after you power it on, or you can have a drive still be running fine 15 years into service. As long as you have backups on other drives or in the cloud, this is fine.

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Sorry, what I mean is that anything with mechanical parts is wearing out when it's online. This means that while the average lifespan of a hard drive is 4-6 years, you can have a drive die 10 seconds after you power it on, or you can have a drive still be running fine 15 years into service. As long as you have backups on other drives or in the cloud, this is fine.

Ah, Okay, sounded like every drive dies as soon as you power it on, which doesn't sound right. . .

I was just thinking, I have been wanting to put together a PC for a while, would it be a bad idea to put together a Storage PC? so mostly basic components with a couple 3TB drives or something?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.