Kinguin Windows 10

Supahh

Hello, 

When I built my pc I made the mistake of downloading windows on my 2tb hard drive instead of my ssd, I didn't know that it mattered since I thought I could've set my ssd to the primary boot option in bios, but apparently you need to download windows on your ssd too.

To utilize my ssd, I now have to unfortunately partition both my ssd and hdd to their original size, and wipe them. And then go through the windows re-installation process again, but this time download windows on my ssd.

I bought my windows 10 home oem key here: https://www.kinguin.net/category/22175/windows-10-home-oem-key/?nosalesbooster=1&country_store=1&currency=AUD&r=26068&id=22175&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5s3cBRCAARIsAB8ZjU1n4tGZFU8TzGTlWh9fy6n2eSl8OH2UPjEWQh-yctkmYgX76YaDLMkaAn81EALw_wcB

I'm just wondering, since I'm re-installing windows, will my product key work again? Or will I have to buy windows 10 again. I'll be using it on the exact same pc / motherboard.

If it does work, is it still restricted to my monitor or I can use this product key on any monitor connected to my pc? Because I'm also in deep consideration of getting a new monitor before reinstalling windows, so therefore I won't need to do the whole process again..

CPU: Intel i7-8700 

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X

Monitor: HP OMEN 25 144hz

RAM: 8GB G Skill

Motherboard: MSI B360 Gaming Arctic

Storage: 2TB Barracuda

Start-up: Samsung 250GB SSD

Case: Corsair Spec-Omega White

PSU: ThermalTake 750W Fully Modular RGB

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition X Chroma V2

Mouse: Razer Deathadder / Logitech G502

Speakers: Logitech Z200 White / Beats Earphones

it should work. The activation is tied to the motherboard ID. So once you re-install, it should automatically register for you when you tell it to activate. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Yes, it will work.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

17 minutes ago, Supahh said:

If it does work, is it still restricted to my monitor or I can use this product key on any monitor connected to my pc? Because I'm also in deep consideration of getting a new monitor before reinstalling windows, so therefore I won't need to do the whole process again..

How did you even come to that question? OFC the pc will work with a different monitor. 

(No, actually each time you change your keyboard, mouse, monitor or headphones you need to reinstall windows, for whatever reason /s)

And the windows being on the drive you want to boot from sounds pretty logical to me.

"but apparently you need to download windows on your ssd too."

No. Windows only needs to be on the drive you want to boot from, so not on both both drives.

But the windows licence should be fine as long as microsoft hasn't deactivated it yet. (many stolen keys will get deactivated after a while)

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

@Supahh Yes, your key will work. It's usually tied to your Motherboard or your Microsoft profile and, I believe you can transfer a license 2-3 times? If you do change your Motherboard.

Before reinstalling Windows it might be a good idea to create a Microsoft account and, log into it with your PC for easier license activation.

I usually just do that and then create a local account after.

Here's a video by Linus on the topic:

Spoiler

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

@Supahhit's internal components, not external ones that the license links to.  Going by the way you worded your question though, you don't know the difference between a computer & a monitor.

10 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

How did you even come to that question? OFC the pc will work with a different monitor. 

(No, actually each time you change your keyboard, mouse, monitor or headphones you need to reinstall windows, for whatever reason /s)

And the windows being on the drive you want to boot from sounds pretty logical to me.

"but apparently you need to download windows on your ssd too."

No. Windows only needs to be on the drive you want to boot from, so not on both both drives.

But the windows licence should be fine as long as microsoft hasn't deactivated it yet. (many stolen keys will get deactivated after a while)

I'm not very logical when it comes to windows as I just switched from mac to pc.

Every time I go into my bios and set my boot priority to my 250gb ssd, it takes me through the whole installation proces again.

CPU: Intel i7-8700 

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X

Monitor: HP OMEN 25 144hz

RAM: 8GB G Skill

Motherboard: MSI B360 Gaming Arctic

Storage: 2TB Barracuda

Start-up: Samsung 250GB SSD

Case: Corsair Spec-Omega White

PSU: ThermalTake 750W Fully Modular RGB

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition X Chroma V2

Mouse: Razer Deathadder / Logitech G502

Speakers: Logitech Z200 White / Beats Earphones

7 hours ago, Supahh said:

I'm not very logical when it comes to windows as I just switched from mac to pc.

Every time I go into my bios and set my boot priority to my 250gb ssd, it takes me through the whole installation proces again.

Have you removed the installation media?

Have you selected "windows boot manager" as the boot priority?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.