Just built and its running slow now

Go to solution Solved by Drawbar,

Here's a utube vid that may help:

Hey, so I just built a rysen 2600 build and for the first couple of minutes the cpu was running at normal 3.5-3.9 but now every since its has been running at 1.5-`1,9 in task manager. I checked temps and they all look good .... and suggestions? 

@Drawbar I have no idea how to do that, what should I type into my search (Cortana thing) to find it 

Just search "power plan" and "choose a power plan" comes up, the settings are there.

If you just built, search for "windows update" and check for updates, let them install.

23 minutes ago, YakityYak said:

Hey, so I just built a rysen 2600 build and for the first couple of minutes the cpu was running at normal 3.5-3.9 but now every since its has been running at 1.5-`1,9 in task manager. I checked temps and they all look good .... and suggestions? 

Did you check the temps with ryzen master? what's the full PC hardware list?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I built a 2600x system a little while back on a x470 mobo, had lots a wierd things going on until I got everything updated, latest bios, etc...

Now with the system idling and the Ryzen Balanced power plan selected it sits at 4.2 ghz, if i change it to power saver it drops down to about 2.1 ghz.

That's strange to me, but the way it's supposed to work.

If Ryzen can stay cool, it stays running fast. Mine is only at 40C idling at 4.2 ghz and that's totally stock, no overclock.

@Drawbar what type of stuff should I look up would you say for updating and how would I do that thanks

If you don't have Ryzen master you can grab this: https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

You can use that to check your cpu temps and clock speed easily.  Your cpu should be below 45C at idle or with little load. If it's over 60C at idle you got a problem.

Run windows update and let it do it's thing. You can find it by searching.

Go to your mother board manufacturers website and download all the latest drivers for your board and install.

Just doing those should get things straightened out.

10 minutes ago, YakityYak said:

@Streetguru what is ryzen master and how do I access it, please direct me through the steps if you would 

Just google it and download it, show accurate temps/speeds for Ryzen.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

@Drawbarso I download it and then it just brings me to a document, will it automatically be applied the second it downloads

@Drawbar So I checked the power plan and it said I t was running planned and so I went into creat ustom plan and changed it to higher performance and it still only sitting at 3.15 on average idling 

it also use to list threads at about 2300 and now its around 1600

10 minutes ago, YakityYak said:

it also use to list threads at about 2300 and now its around 1600

Try turning off "AMD cool n quiet" in the BIOS if it's an option somewhere.

also make a Linux USB of Ubuntu or something using Rufus after downloading the ISO and see if it runs fine with your hard drive/ssd unplugged

Spoiler

well i have you guys here lol. should i install a virus blocker like Norton, or does windows defender make this kind of pointless as im not going to any soetchy sites or dark web stuff

13 minutes ago, YakityYak said:

well i have you guys here lol. should i install a virus blocker like Norton, or does windows defender make this kind of pointless as im not going to any soetchy sites or dark web stuff

Anti-Virus software is generally worthless

Spoiler