new m.2

butters9m

Im getting a new m.2, and was wondering what the best way would be to transfer windows to the new m.2. Im not sure if it would be possible to have the m.2 ass a boot device, only containing data need to boot, then storing programs else ware. the m.2 is 120gb so i cant just put all of my programs on it (i have 900gb of data right now).  

Edit: ( os windows) the current drive is a hdd which has windows and programs, l would like to boot off of the m.2 but keep the programs on the hdd

6 minutes ago, butters9m said:

Im getting a new m.2, and was wondering what the best way would be to transfer windows to the new m.2. Im not sure if it would be possible to have the m.2 ass a boot device, only containing data need to boot, then storing programs else ware. the m.2 is 120gb so i cant just put all of my programs on it (i have 900gb of data right now).  

Basically, M.2 is just a form factor. It basically is just a faster SATA port. One M.2 drive replaces two SATA ports on your motherboard, so beware of that.  You can definitely use it as a boot drive. I would recommend doing a clean install of your OS on the new drive, and keeping your other drive as a storage drive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

( os windows) the current drive is a hdd which has windows and programs, l would like to boot off of the m.2 but keep the programs on the hdd