HELP error 0xC004F012

Go to solution Solved by JRaymond,

After Many weeks of talking to Microsoft what they said was that because my copy of Windows 8 is an "upgrade" key the only way I can re-activate my copy of windows is if I downgrade to win 7 and then upgrade to 8 AGAIN. 

Overlooking the fact that my computer should not have lost it's activation in the first place the last few weeks has made me regret ever giving Microsoft any of my money.

Hi guys, 

I'm in a bit of a jam here, I recently got back home to Sri Lanka after a trip to the states and switched out my graphics card in my rig. I was able to get the card installed without any problems and it runs perfectly fine but after changing it my copy of windows 8.1 pro that I purchased online is saying that it is no longer activated. 

I tried activating it but all I got was the error code in the title of this post (  0xC004F012 ) 

I contacted customer support here in Sri Lanka but they said I had to send an email to the Indian support line which I did but they were even less helpful. Below is the email they sent me

Hello J,   

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

I understand from your mail that you are unable to activate Windows 8 and receiving 0xC004F012. I will be happy to help you.

I apologize for the delay in response. I would like to inform you in order to resolve the issue that you are facing I request you to visit the below mentioned web link and follow the steps mentioned in the link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/windows-81-activation-error-0xc004f012/5b749927-a9a3-4651-b157-448ebc846172

Alternatively, you can contact our Activation team at below mentioned numbers.

Tel:  080-40103000 (Option 1 and 1-4)

Toll free: 1-800-11-1100 (BSNL and MTNL) (Option 1 and 1-4)

Toll free: 1-800-102-1100 (AIRTEL) (Option 1 and 1-4)

I hope you find the above information helpful. If you have any other questions or queries, please feel free to reach us on below numbers.

In case you have any general inquires about Microsoft Products and Service, you can submit a request by clicking on the link below and we would be happy to assist you with the same.

https://support.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1214&ws=india&ws=support

Thank you for Choosing Microsoft Products and Services.

Rajesh

Microsoft- Customer Services

Tel: 080-40103000

Toll free: 1-800-11-1100(BSNL and MTNL)

Toll free: 1-800-102-1100 (AIRTEL)

I followed the link and attempted a phone activating through the run command but all I got was the picture attached where the loading screen would just look for hours meaning I couldn't get an installation id for the robot at the other end of the phone activation line. I tried explaining this to this so called "Rajesh" but i received almost the identical email again which makes me think that this entire system is pretty much unmanned 

is there anyone here who knows how I can fix this without having to lose all my programs? 

if you need any additional information please ask and I shall provide as many answers as I can. 

any help would be much appreciated, 

thanks guys 

post-16646-0-21445200-1388677770.jpg

Intel Core i5-3470 / EVGA GTX 780 /Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H / 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600MHz / RM 650  / CM Storm Enforcer

Run a MGADiag and post the results:

1. Download: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=56062

2. Save the MGADiag.exe file to your desktop and run it.

3. If prompted, click on Run and Yes (UAC).

4. Click on the Continue button. 

5. When the report is finished, click on the Copy button.

6. Paste in a txt file and post it here.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

there 

activation.txt

Intel Core i5-3470 / EVGA GTX 780 /Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H / 8GB G.SKILL Sniper 1600MHz / RM 650  / CM Storm Enforcer

One more thing:

Please open an Elevated Command Prompt window (in Start, type 'Command' - a Command Prompt icon will appear, right-click on it, and select Run as Administrator)
At the Prompt, type

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab

(note the spaces!)
two files will be put on your desktop -
open the 'report.txt' file in Notepad, and copy/paste the results to your response - you can ignore the repfiles.cab file for the moment, as it's only backup data

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

<DiagReport>

<LicensingData>

<ToolVersion>6.3.9600.16384</ToolVersion>

<LicensingStatus>SL_LICENSING_STATUS_UNLICENSED</LicensingStatus>

<LicensingStatusReason>0xC004F014</LicensingStatusReason>

<LocalGenuineState>SL_GEN_STATE_INVALID_LICENSE</LocalGenuineState>

<LocalGenuineResultP>0</LocalGenuineResultP>

<LastOnlineGenuineResult></LastOnlineGenuineResult>

<GraceTimeMinutes>0</GraceTimeMinutes>

<TotalGraceDays>0</TotalGraceDays>

<ValidityExpiration></ValidityExpiration>

<ActivePartialProductKey>3V3G7</ActivePartialProductKey>

<ActiveProductKeyPid2>00178-10577-43705-AB715</ActiveProductKeyPid2>

<OSVersion>6.3.9600.2.00010100.0.0.048</OSVersion>

<ProductName>Windows 8.1 Pro</ProductName>

<ProcessorArchitecture>x64</ProcessorArchitecture>

<EditionId>Professional</EditionId>

<BuildLab>9600.winblue_gdr.130913-2141</BuildLab>

<TimeZone>Sri Lanka Standard Time(GMT+05:30)</TimeZone>

<ActiveSkuId></ActiveSkuId>

<ActiveSkuDescription></ActiveSkuDescription>

<ProductUniquenessGroups></ProductUniquenessGroups>

<ActiveProductKeyPKeyId></ActiveProductKeyPKeyId>

<ActiveProductKeyPidEx>55041-01781-057-743705-01-2057-9200.0000-2942013</ActiveProductKeyPidEx>

<ActiveProductKeyChannel>Retail</ActiveProductKeyChannel>

<ActiveVolumeCustomerPid></ActiveVolumeCustomerPid>

<OfflineInstallationId></OfflineInstallationId>

<DomainJoined>false</DomainJoined>

<ComputerSid>S-1-5-21-2989565660-1125607020-4028352631</ComputerSid>

<ProductLCID>2057</ProductLCID>

<UserLCID>2057</UserLCID>

<SystemLCID>2057</SystemLCID>

<CodeSigning>SIGNED_INFO_PRS_SIGNED</CodeSigning>

<ServiceAvailable>false</ServiceAvailable>

<OemMarkerVersion></OemMarkerVersion>

<OemId></OemId>

<OemTableId></OemTableId>

<Manufacturer>Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.</Manufacturer>

<Model>To be filled by O.E.M.</Model>

<InstallDate>20131021155902.000000+330</InstallDate>

</LicensingData>

<HealthCheck>

<Result>PASS</Result>

<TamperedItems></TamperedItems>

</HealthCheck>

<GenuineAuthz>

<ServerProps>0xc0000022</ServerProps>

</GenuineAuthz>

</DiagReport>

Windows is reporting that for whatever reason the product key isn't installed properly, or has been blocked by Microsoft for being illegally distributed across the internet.

Assuming the product key is legit run this command in command prompt as an administrator:

slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Replace the Xs with your product key. Restart your machine. What happens?

If it still shows up as invalid when you start then whoever sold you the product key did so illegally. You can contact Microsoft and forward them your information. Under such situations they can usually give you a new key.

Sorry for the long delay, was having internet issues. 

I tried that but all i got was the following error 

Error: 0x80070426 on  computer running microsoft windows non-core edition, run slui.exe 0x2 0x80070426 to display the error text 

Sorry for the long delay, was having internet issues. 

I tried that but all i got was the following error 

Error: 0x80070426 on  computer running microsoft windows non-core edition, run slui.exe 0x2 0x80070426 to display the error text 

At this point I would suggest a repair install: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

If it still fails, then your only option is to contact Microsoft and ask them why your key isn't working.

Thanks man, 

I'll try it out and see what happens 

• 2 weeks later...

After Many weeks of talking to Microsoft what they said was that because my copy of Windows 8 is an "upgrade" key the only way I can re-activate my copy of windows is if I downgrade to win 7 and then upgrade to 8 AGAIN. 

Overlooking the fact that my computer should not have lost it's activation in the first place the last few weeks has made me regret ever giving Microsoft any of my money.