Confused about supported hardware?

Karanvir3215

So I'm looking into making a pc some time in the near future and I'm trying to finalize a build so I can start buying things when they go on sale (I currently have a mediocre pc, so I'm not in any hurry). For my motherboard I'm planning on an X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING. I was checking out it's documentation and there was a page listing supported hardware. So my question is, are the objects in these lists the only options I have for hardware, or are they just guidelines? For example; I was planning on G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB), Model #: F4-3200C16D-16GVKB for my Ram kit because the Gigabyte website states that the motherboard supports 3200MHz ram. When I looked at the list the closest supported ram kit from G.Skill was a 3000MHz kit (the only G.Skill kits running at 3200MHz were a 32GB kit and a 64GB kit. Are these strict rules as to what hardware I can use, or are they recommended hardware options? Same problem for the ssd I wanted from Crucial. Help would be greatly appreciated.

mb_memory_x470-aorus-ultra-gaming_pinnacle.pdf

mb_m.2_support_180619.pdf

Edit: Thanks to all the help, I realized that this motherboard was overkill for my needs, which led me to select a motherboard from MSI (the B450M Pro-M2). MSI provides significantly better documentation for the memory and storage devices supported.

Edited by Karanvir3215
To provide a resolution to my problem

no there's no strict rules about hardware recommendations.

You can ignore the list. The manufacturer don't have time to try each and every memory modules on the planet.

So the list might be limited.

all is trial and error. 90% of the time it will be supported. 10% bad luck.

if the memory specified for 3200, then it would do so.

if not, the you could just make adjustment in the bios.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thank you so much! I was really worried that I would have to re-plan my entire build based on the motherboard.

Ryzen cpu are notoriously sensitive to memory. The second generation less so, but still has issues using higher speed, higher capacity modules. Figuring out compatible memory is unfortunately not easy. Personally I would not get memory for a Ryzen or Threadripper system that was not on a QVL.

Companies like G.Skill and Crucial do have a compatibility finder which helps with their products. Corsair also has a finder, but I haven't found it that useful.

On manufacturer QVL lists you need to take into account the color code in a kit number. The manufacturer listing will be for a particular color module, the same kit can be available in a number of other colors all of which should be compatible.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thank you! The thing is that the spec sheet I was looking at was from the motherboard manufacturer. The thing that is confusing me still is that even though the motherboard's support list contains very few ram kits, G.Skill's website says that there are many kits that are compatible with this particular motherboard. When I checked G.Skill's compatibility finder I found a kit that says it works with my motherboard and is at the maximum frequency supported by my CPU (it's 2933MHz, I made a mistake in the original post) Link: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2933c16d-16gfx. The site contains a QVL at the bottom which states that this ram kit is compatible with my chosen motherboard, the X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING. The question is, which compatibility list do I listen to?

53 minutes ago, Karanvir3215 said:

Thank you! The thing is that the spec sheet I was looking at was from the motherboard manufacturer. The thing that is confusing me still is that even though the motherboard's support list contains very few ram kits, G.Skill's website says that there are many kits that are compatible with this particular motherboard. When I checked G.Skill's compatibility finder I found a kit that says it works with my motherboard and is at the maximum frequency supported by my CPU (it's 2933MHz, I made a mistake in the original post) Link: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2933c16d-16gfx. The site contains a QVL at the bottom which states that this ram kit is compatible with my chosen motherboard, the X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING. The question is, which compatibility list do I listen to?

The QVL are not mutually exclusive. Appearance on one or the other list is good enough. IOW, "listen" to both.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.