Best way to lubricate a trackball?

ZuluBunsen

I'm "that guy" who uses a trackball (specifically the Logitech Trackman Marble) and was wondering what the best lubricant for the trackball might be. Would mechanical keyboard lubricant work? I've heard the tip of rubbing the ball on the forehead to put oil on it, but... eww. Curious to hear suggestions!

Use any hair oil.. Worked for me back in '08

With Great Power, Comes a Great Electricity Bill

Main

Setup: Intel core i5-8400 (OC'd), MSI Z-370-A Pro, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, Be Quiet! Pure Slim, Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB, TP-Link Wifi Adapter, ASRock RX580, Artic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste, Logitech G105, Logitech M310, Razer Sphex V2 (Mat), EVGA 500W 80+ Silver, 1TB WD Blue, 240gb Kingston Digital

Nah, I just use my M570 until the 3 contact points (the ones that touch the ball and allow it to move) get all gunked up and I start to notice friction.  At that point I take the ball out, clean the contact points, use a bit of isopropyl alcohol to clean the ball, then move it around in my hand a bit before putting it back in the enclosure.

4 minutes ago, ZuluBunsen said:

I'm "that guy" who uses a trackball (specifically the Logitech Trackman Marble) and was wondering what the best lubricant for the trackball might be. Would mechanical keyboard lubricant work? I've heard the tip of rubbing the ball on the forehead to put oil on it, but... eww. Curious to hear suggestions!

You shouldn’t have to lubrcate it but just clean the contacts where he ball rolls along. 

• 4 years later...
On 8/21/2018 at 12:27 PM, ZuluBunsen said:

I can confirm that the human forehead is a great source of lubrication for a trackball mouse. Human skin is covered in pores, with the exception of the palm of the hand and the sole of the feet, that produce sebum (skin oil) and sweat. In the absence of Cholinergic Urticaria, Atopic Dermatitis, or a rare auto-allergy, using your natural skin oil to lubricate your trackball is probably the safest method possible.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:32 PM, UnwantedLinks said:

Use any hair oil.. Worked for me back in '08

not entirely true mineral oil has petrolium in that would eat away at the rubber over time and alot of beard and hair oils if bought cheaply is mineral oil

• 1 year later...

Hand oil is plenty.  I used to remove the ball and deep clean with isopropyl, but didn't like how the ball felt after.  I had to roll the ball in my hands for a bit to get it oiled again.

Nowadays, I don't take a part the whole mouse or bother with isopropyl.  When I notice friction, I pick up the whole mouse with two hands then push hard on the ball and roll around.  Breaking up the residue.  Works well in restoring old mice too.