New Storage Setup

goshirn

Hey there guys (: I managed to get a job and I want to start working on a storage setup.

My ultimate goal is to have 2xWD Reds in Raid 1, but I have Mac OS X on my HP Laptop (my only computer) and I spend a lot of time on the Mac OS. I do still use Windows but I have them in separate HDs for now.

I'm buying a 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD to be my main HD for my laptop. I'm thinking about splitting it 60/40 Mac OS X/Windows. 

I'll be wanting a Raid 1 solution that is platform neutral, Mavericks can write and read to and from NTFS so that wont be an issue but I don't know what will so maybe if someone here knows they can tell me so I figure out a way to fix them in advance.

But for now due to budget constrains (there's a lot more priorities in my buy list) and because I'm also buying the SSD I'm going to buy only one 2T WD Red but I don't know what external enclosure to buy.

I have a 2.5'' enclosure already, it's like 5 years old, it's USB 2 and it's always worked (I bought it in second hand).

I want a good, reliable USB 3.0 enclosure that will allow me to use the peak speeds of the WD Red. I don't want to spend a lot of money, I would say it should cost at the most around 40€.

Thanks in advance (:

Mavericks can write and read to and from NTFS so that wont be an issue but I don't know what will so maybe if someone here knows they can tell me so I figure out a way to fix them in advance.

I want a good, reliable USB 3.0 enclosure that will allow me to use the peak speeds of the WD Red. I don't want to spend a lot of money, I would say it should cost at the most around 40€.

Firstly, Mavericks does not support writing natively to NTFS. IT was removed for a reason, it kept corrupting the data that was written, you can re-enable writing via a terminal command but it will brake i warn you. (if you are referring to boot camp, that is not OS X, but windows that gets drivers for HFS+ (or as apple call it OS X extended (journal)))

2. Pretty much every USB3.0 enclosure will support the speeds from a RED drive, may be a of a stretch for one that does RAID 1.

Firstly, Mavericks does not support writing natively to NTFS. IT was removed for a reason, it kept corrupting the data that was written, you can re-enable writing via a terminal command but it will brake i warn you. (if you are referring to boot camp, that is not OS X, but windows that gets drivers for HFS+ (or as apple call it OS X extended (journal)))

2. Pretty much every USB3.0 enclosure will support the speeds from a RED drive, may be a of a stretch for one that does RAID 1.

Ok so I think I'll just make like partition for TimeMachine and then have a FAT32 partition to then trade things from windows to the mac...

But what about software like Paragon NTFS for Mac? Tuxera?

Seagate also has an NTFS driver for Mac OS X http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/ 

I do not know if it works with other branded drives.

Yes you can use the thrid party plugins for OS X to enable NTFS, just make sure they use there own driver, and do not just run the terminal command build into OS X.