Windows blue screen

anonvx
Go to solution Solved by anonvx,

UPDATE: she took it to best buy, they said windows deleted itself during the update process. 

So my girlfriend has a pretty shitty laptop. It was running pretty slow so I told her to uninstall some unneeded programs. And I had her set it to have windows set it for best performance. Well she restarted it and got the system recovery and repair screen. Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

1 minute ago, anonvx said:

repair screen

didn't windows recovery tool recover the laptop to a stable version?

if the pc is old 6+ years old you have to change the thermal paste you will get more stability and more performance

Sounds like it was having a issue for a while that simply did not make itself kown until the reboot, or removal of the software in question. There is a few ways you can tackle this. The first thing you'll want to ddo is run the recovery process, and see if it finishes properly. If that fixes the issue then your good. If you can get back into windows after this the first place you wanna check for info is the event viewer which you can find by using windows search. You can also find it within the admin tools which will be found in control panel. Though honest;y if you keep having a lot of reacquiring issues then just reinstall windows. A clean install will work best as then all you need to do is install your drivers which will be found on the computer manufactures website.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

7 minutes ago, mymande said:

didn't windows recovery tool recover the laptop to a stable version?

if the pc is old 6+ years old you have to change the thermal paste you will get more stability and more performance

nope recovery failed. 

Victor F. 

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

3 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Sounds like it was having a issue for a while that simply did not make itself kown until the reboot, or removal of the software in question. There is a few ways you can tackle this. The first thing you'll want to ddo is run the recovery process, and see if it finishes properly. If that fixes the issue then your good. If you can get back into windows after this the first place you wanna check for info is the event viewer which you can find by using windows search. You can also find it within the admin tools which will be found in control panel. Though honest;y if you keep having a lot of reacquiring issues then just reinstall windows. A clean install will work best as then all you need to do is install your drivers which will be found on the computer manufactures website.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Recovery failed. 

Victor F. 

1 minute ago, anonvx said:

Recovery failed. 

Not able to reset the PC but keep files etc?

8 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Not able to reset the PC but keep files etc?

can't system image is gone somehow. I am planning to reinstall windows when I see her again. 

Victor F. 

2 minutes ago, mymande said:

are you able to access windows in safe mode?

nope 

Victor F. 

1 minute ago, mymande said:

yeah a reinstall of windows should do it 

okay 

Victor F. 

20 minutes ago, anonvx said:

Recovery failed. 

I would say yes now is time to reinstall windows fresh. That should help you get back on track. One thing you might wanna do in the future though if this happens again, and you have a lot of files you need backed up is to get a linux live flash drive and access your files that way to be backed up to another device, or hard drive. Though for now just install windows if even safe mode is nulled.

13 hours ago, anonvx said:

So my girlfriend has a pretty shitty laptop. It was running pretty slow so I told her to uninstall some unneeded programs. And I had her set it to have windows set it for best performance. Well she restarted it and got the system recovery and repair screen. Any ideas on how to fix this? 

First of all - let it be a lesson that uninstalling programs is not a solution for speed up system. Reinstalling Windows is not that solution too. You may have as many programs as you want - the only you need is to check do you really need them to be start with system. More - uninstalling programs may be reason that system works slower! Let's see what "slow system" means. Is it only speed of boot and start web browser? Or is it also how fast you can open any file without installing additional tools every time you need to open something? If someone send me any document, in 99% cases I have no problem with open it, extract it, unpack it, repack it or do whatever I want to, because I have lot of useful tools - and that is what computer should works. Focusing on boot speed is a reason that people spend lot of time asking "how can I open this file" (like when someone has only one video player and have problem with some video files and don't have any alternative software for try).

Want to have fast computer? Then stop cleaning registry, cleaning hard drive, reinstalling windows, uninstalling programs that may be useful. Install 4 or 5 video players and test which one works best (and leave rest - they may be useful later). Slow internet browsing? Install 4 or 5 browsers and check which one is best for you and your computer. The same with mp3 player, FTP tools, filemanagers, image viewers and converters, pdf viewers (for example PDF XChange Viewer is much faster than Adobe) etc. Sometimes slow computer needs simply tool, sometimes needs highly configurable program to work faster. And sometimes it just need new, faster hard drive, because not every time you can speed up your computer using only keyboard and "magic tricks".

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

First of all - let it be a lesson that uninstalling programs is not a solution for speed up system. Reinstalling Windows is not that solution too. You may have as many programs as you want - the only you need is to check do you really need them to be start with system. More - uninstalling programs may be reason that system works slower! Let's see what "slow system" means. Is it only speed of boot and start web browser? Or is it also how fast you can open any file without installing additional tools every time you need to open something? If someone send me any document, in 99% cases I have no problem with open it, extract it, unpack it, repack it or do whatever I want to, because I have lot of useful tools - and that is what computer should works. Focusing on boot speed is a reason that people spend lot of time asking "how can I open this file" (like when someone has only one video player and have problem with some video files and don't have any alternative software for try).

Want to have fast computer? Then stop cleaning registry, cleaning hard drive, reinstalling windows, uninstalling programs that may be useful. Install 4 or 5 video players and test which one works best (and leave rest - they may be useful later). Slow internet browsing? Install 4 or 5 browsers and check which one is best for you and your computer. The same with mp3 player, FTP tools, filemanagers, image viewers and converters, pdf viewers (for example PDF XChange Viewer is much faster than Adobe) etc. Sometimes slow computer needs simply tool, sometimes needs highly configurable program to work faster. And sometimes it just need new, faster hard drive, because not every time you can speed up your computer using only keyboard and "magic tricks".

Uninstalling bloatware does speed up your computer especially if it runs obsessive background tasks. And her processor maxed out without any major workloads. It is a intel Celeron but still. That's why I had her uninstall programs because of the background services on them.  

Victor F. 

1 hour ago, anonvx said:

Uninstalling bloatware does speed up your computer especially if it runs obsessive background tasks. And her processor maxed out without any major workloads. It is a intel Celeron but still. That's why I had her uninstall programs because of the background services on them.  

Congratulations then. Next time just deactivate bloatware from startup/services/task scheduler and maybe you'll be able to boot Windows. Sometimes that "bloatware" can be connected to some drivers and needed as you see. Laptop with celeron is always slow. It can be usable only with SSD, without 3rd party AV etc.

UPDATE: she took it to best buy, they said windows deleted itself during the update process. 

Victor F.