SSD issue

NecroFlex
Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,

You could try updating the SSD's firmware.  If that doesn't do the trick, I'd assume that it's pretty much dead. 

So i went to my local flea market and got an Intel SSD 540s 120GB for 1€, the guy said it's most likely dead but i took it anyway to see.

Came home and put it into the test machine to try and install windows on it, BIOS saw it no problem but when i booted up the windows install USB it was slow...really slow. It took about 20min to get from the windows boot-up to the part where you select the language. I selected the language and then clicked the install now button, got the ''setup is starting part'' and it just hung there for over 1h. I then forced shutdown the PC in tried to boot up from my test disk while the SSD was still connected, it hung at the starting windows logo. I removed the SSD to get into windows and then plugged it in with a USB adaptor, windows detected it and started installing drivers for it, which went well, but that was it.

Disk manager doesn't see it, HDSentinel doesn't see it, LLF doesn't see it, Paragon doesn't see it. I can only see it in Device Manager and that's it.

Any suggestions? Is it really dead or just ''stuck'' in a sort of loop?

37 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

You could try updating the SSD's firmware.  If that doesn't do the trick, I'd assume that it's pretty much dead. 

This actually worked, i put the update on a USB, booted from it, the updater found it fine, updated from the 36 to 42 firmware and atm it seems to be working, it went past the windows starting screen and is now doing a CHKDisk on it, seems it was in a lenovo laptop with windows 8 on it, will see if i can boot from it and extract the licence :P 

Thank you!

Sounds like you had corrupted firmware then. 

Make sure you keep backups of whatever data you store on that SSD, as it may still have a hardware problem that caused the original corruption. 

7 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Sounds like you had corrupted firmware then. 

Make sure you keep backups of whatever data you store on that SSD, as it may still have a hardware problem that caused the original corruption. 

I'll see if i can get a warranty replacement because HDSentinel shows it has 222 bad sectors even tho it only has 8 days of use, not sure how. I checked the ISN with Intels warranty check and it should still be under warranty till 2021