Monitors' refresh rates.

I asked a question about 2 monitors on facebook , and there was this guy telling me that i should not get a 144hz monitor with freesync ( Me having a Nvidia GPU ) because i would only be able to play on a locked 60hz Refresh Rate.

Is that true? Am i rly able to only play at 60 hz if i dont have g-sync?

You would benefit from 144Hz anyway, but not from FreeSync module.

G-Sync is better for Nvidia GPU but more expensive. It reduces Input lags.

2 minutes ago, Hip said:

You would benefit from 144Hz anyway, but not from FreeSync module.

G-Sync is better for Nvidia GPU but more expensive.

yeah thats the thing i cant afford gsync , so lets say i get a freesync monitor with 144hz , and  i have a GTX1070 will i be able to play at 144hz or will the monitor get locked at 60hz ? Thats my question

1 minute ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

yeah thats the thing i cant afford gsync , so lets say i get a freesync monitor with 144hz , and  i have a GTX1070 will i be able to play at 144hz or will the monitor get locked at 60hz ? Thats my question

Monitor will not be locked at 60hz, unless you're running vsync in games that is (though I don't suspect you to do that on a 144hz screen).

1 minute ago, monjessenstein said:

Monitor will not be locked at 60hz, unless you're running vsync in games that is (though I don't suspect you to do that on a 144hz screen).

nice thank you

Just now, FastRDust said:

Freesync does not lock out native capabilities of a monitor like resolution or refresh rate.

yeah he told me that for 144hz to be ''activated'' u need to have the same gpu with the same program AKA freesync-AMD , gsync-Nvidia.

I guess he was talking nonsense (relieved)

5 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

yeah he told me that for 144hz to be ''activated'' u need to have the same gpu with the same program AKA freesync-AMD , gsync-Nvidia.

I guess he was talking nonsense (relieved)

Freesync is only for a adaptive refreshrate to match the output of a AMD GPU so it looks smoother.

an probably the 144Hz mode is called overclocked in the OSD of the monitor.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

I use a 144hz monitor that has free sync. I only use nvidia and it goes to 144 like it supposed to. I’d never game at 60 regardless of the situation. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz