New CPU + Motherboard, Same Win Install - help!

newcster2

Just went from my z97 board with a 4790k to a z370 board with 8700k.  Same windows install on the same drive.  

2 problems:

1. USB devices are not detected while the machine is running - for instance, plugging in my webcam while the PC is running does nothing, however, if the webcam is plugged in on boot, it works perfectly.
  2. PC does not shut down properly - Restart causes it to hang on the "Restarting..." screen of windows indefinitely, shutdown results in going to the "Shutting Down..." screen and then all displays are shut off but the PC is still on indefinitely.

I downloaded the Intel Chipset Driver here, but the installation hangs at about half way and messes things up, the installer becomes unresponsive and must be closed, then I must reboot to use the PC again.

Don't know what to do, I'd prefer not to make a fresh install of windows because my internet is slow as hell!

EDIT: Nevermind, just doing a fresh install I give up

have you tried upgrading bios to latest for your motherboard? then go through the bios/uefi and set to factory defaults.

16 minutes ago, micash41 said:

have you tried upgrading bios to latest for your motherboard? then go through the bios/uefi and set to factory defaults.

I'll try setting to default settings, the only bios settings I changed was boot order and turning on XMP.

Edit: Tried this, no difference with problems

Edited by newcster2

Any amount of time spent troubleshooting will be wasted, there's no guarantee everything will work after a platform switch. Your best option is a clean install. 

7 minutes ago, Konrad_K said:

Any amount of time spent troubleshooting will be wasted, there's no guarantee everything will work after a platform switch. Your best option is a clean install. 

Of course there's no guarantee, however, I've done this type of thing countless times at my old job, and only once did I have problems when swapping out the CPU/Motherboard.

I even have a friend who went from an AMD setup to Intel and his system ran flawlessly.

It seems that I'm so close to it working properly, and though I would obviously have a much higher chance of everything working flawlessly by performing a fresh install, I'd prefer to try and fix whatever problem there is with device detection or the usb controller as well as whatever problem there is with shutting down.

If nobody can help me fix that, then I'll perform a clean install soon.