Ark Survival Server

I researched building an ark server before but it looks from what I have found now that things may have changed. I was looking at using non server hardware because at one point ark was using tons of CPU usage and everyone was saying you wanted higher clocks. So here is what I am planning I know these specs are over the top of what I need but I can always use this rig for multiple purposes. I am not set on a graphics card and I will get more ram but you get the gist. One thing I am still unsure of is if I will need windows server 2012r2 or not at one point you had to have it now I think that may have changed. I have never done anything like this before so it is a learning experience. I am looking to run at least 5 maps in cross cluster 24/7 probably no more than 30 people online. So any input would be appreciated even if it is to go in another direction.

I just put this together on PC part Picker I am not stuck with these specs but from what I read this should be way more than enough.

Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor

Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus - STRIX X299-E GAMING ATX LGA2066 Motherboard

G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Samsung - 970 Pro 1.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB ROG STRIX Video Card 

Corsair - HX Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

So do you want a server only, or a system that is also a desktop?

If you want server only: Why the gpu? That won't be used at all for the server.

Why 2 dimms, get 2 for 2066.

Don't get 2012r2, get 2016. But for this user windows 10 or linux will also work fine(linux will probaly be a bit faster, but haven't tested it my self)

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So do you want a server only, or a system that is also a desktop?

If you want server only: Why the gpu? That won't be used at all for the server.

Why 2 dimms, get 2 for 2066.

Don't get 2012r2, get 2016. But for this user windows 10 or linux will also work fine(linux will probaly be a bit faster, but haven't tested it my self)

I dont really care if it can be used as a desktop or server doesnt matter to me as far as server 2012 last time I researched ark servers you had to use 2012r2 (about a year ago) now no one is even using server grade from what I have seen they are just using windows 10 I just didn't know if it was easier to assign each core to a different map and give me better functionality to use a server version, like I said I have never done this before. And as far as the gpu if I use the server version it wont matter Ill get some cheap gpu but If I am better off going straight up windows 10 then I will stick with a better gpu. I have a main gaiming rig so hardware isnt really the issue I just need to know then am I better going the windows 10 route or would I be better off going for a xeon and a server route? As far as linux goes I am going to pass I wouldn't mind trying but I think one learning experience is enough for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Just now, Patriot283 said:

I dont really care if it can be used as a desktop or server doesnt matter to me as far as server 2012 last time I researched ark servers you had to use 2012r2 (about a year ago) now no one is even using server grade from what I have seen they are just using windows 10 I just didn't know if it was easier to assign each core to a different map and give me better functionality to use a server version, like I said I have never done this before. And as far as the gpu if I use the server version it wont matter Ill get some cheap gpu but If I am better off going straight up windows 10 then I will stick with a better gpu. I have a main gaiming rig so hardware isnt really the issue I just need to know then am I better going the windows 10 route or would I be better off going for a xeon and a server route? As far as linux goes I am going to pass I wouldn't mind trying but I think one learning experience is enough for now.

Thanks for the advice.

Id look into renting a vpn on something like aws, that way its more secure with a higher uptime. And probably cheaper too.

For a simple server like this id personally get some used server parts, there cheap and will work fine. It really won't require that much computer power for what your hosting.

I ran an Ark server on a windows 10 Virtual machine with 4cores and 8GB RAM. This was only for a handful of friends so wasn't a huge server, but it wasn't that resource intensive. 

The VM was running on Windows server 2016 using Hyper-V. Hardware was a Dell R710 low powered Xeons, I think L5630 or something similar. Ran perfectly.