Hiss (AT2020 XLR)

I bought the at2020 around almost a year back and it has always had a really loud hiss. I use the Phantom power supply for the 48 volts. It is connected via xlr and is plugged into the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-vision-vr-gaming-pc-intel-8th-generation-3.6ghz-quad-core-fs-1c5-og.html
I have been having to use the noise susspression to lower the hiss but then my voice sound extremely odd. I don't really want to spend 100 pound for a mixer just to see if it works because it would be a waste of money.  My parents don't understand and they get angry when i buy something that doesn't work. 
Any help would be appreciated

This is what it sounds like but a bit louder
SoloHiss1.wav

1 hour ago, TeSn_Liam said:

I bought the at2020 around almost a year back and it has always had a really loud hiss. I use the Phantom power supply for the 48 volts. It is connected via xlr and is plugged into the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-vision-vr-gaming-pc-intel-8th-generation-3.6ghz-quad-core-fs-1c5-og.html
I have been having to use the noise susspression to lower the hiss but then my voice sound extremely odd. I don't really want to spend 100 pound for a mixer just to see if it works because it would be a waste of money.  My parents don't understand and they get angry when i buy something that doesn't work. 
Any help would be appreciated

This is what it sounds like but a bit louder
SoloHiss1.wav

I'm a bit confused as to what you have the AT2020 plugged into exactly, could you please elaborate?

You must have a mixer, pre-amp, or interface between the mic and the computer.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

9 minutes ago, TheAgnda said:

I'm a bit confused as to what you have the AT2020 plugged into exactly, could you please collaborate?

You must have a mixer, pre-amp, or interface between the mic and the computer.

The xlr goes into the phantom power supply then an xlr cable goes from the power supply into the computer 3.5mm jack

19 minutes ago, TeSn_Liam said:

The xlr goes into the phantom power supply then an xlr cable goes from the power supply into the computer 3.5mm jack

I am not surprised you're experiencing poor mic quality and noise running an AT2020 through your onboard mic input. It could be the pre-amp too, but I presume it is a combination of both. Could you link me the "phantom power supply" you are using?

I am very confident that even a lower end USB audio interface will greatly alleviate or even completely eliminate your issues:
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UM2-BEHRINGER-U-PHORIA/dp/B00EK1OTZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533848819&sr=8-1&keywords=um2

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

14 minutes ago, TheAgnda said:

I am not surprised you're experiencing poor mic quality and noise running an AT2020 through your onboard mic input. It could be the pre-amp too, but I presume it is a combination of both. Could you link me the "phantom power supply" you are using?

I am very confident that even a lower end USB audio interface will greatly alleviate or even completely eliminate your issues:
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UM2-BEHRINGER-U-PHORIA/dp/B00EK1OTZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533848819&sr=8-1&keywords=um2

Thank you

Your microphone was likely not getting the gain it needed before the port, and because you weren't line-level running the microphone in you were boosting a signal which adds noise past 10dB (depending).

You'd have better luck going with a dynamic microphone over a condenser but that is a nice microphone and so what does one do?

We use DACs! or Mixer boards to get the signal honed in before it goes out!

If you go for the UMC202 HD you'll have zero problems it's USB driven and isolates itself from EMI/ground loops/etc. You don't necessarily have that issue and so a mixer will work too but I'd highly recommend the USB devices if you don't intend on using it for live mixing/etc (live gear). Basically if you plan to do mixing without a PC go for an analog mixer. :)

3 hours ago, Tyler Moore said:

We use DACs!

For microphone input you don't use DAC. You use ADC.

3 hours ago, Tyler Moore said:

You'd have better luck going with a dynamic microphone over cardiod but that is a nice microphone and so what does one do?

Typo? Dynamic microphone can be cardioid as well. Did you meant condenser instead of cardioid?

5 hours ago, TeSn_Liam said:

No wonder you have hiss. As mentioned before, even the cheapest USB audio device would give you much better results.

Oh god, that's a big mistake!

Yes I meant condenser, I don't know what I was thinking; probably cause I wasn't. I'll change that. The rest should be correct I've been rather tired lately. Thanks for that catch, at times I derp. :P