Can I use my phone indefinitely by just replacing the battery every year?

I have a galaxy s8 and I am very happy with it so far. Battery life is a bit worse now since I bought it but it is still WORLDS better than the phone I had before (galaxy alpha). We all know that phone batteries will die eventually and that we need to replace them when this happens. This got me thinking. Can I just keep on replacing the battery of my phone every 2 years or so and just use it for as long as possible? I know that other parts can degrade like the flash memory and the processor, but is it possible to keep the phone working for, lets say 5-6 years? The reason I'm asking isnt just because I'm a greedy bastard, but because I'm so used to seeing people having the same gaming pc for like 7-8 years and it works completely fine. I'm just curious since I'm happy with this phone and I dont see any reason to buy a new one yet. 

There's still people using iPhone 5's from 2012.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

My Iphone 4 is still operating just fine.

You can probably hold of replacing the battery to 5-6 years after purschase and then every 2-5 years depending how good batteries you get.

In theory you can keep using it for a veeery long time

(Note: all phones i have owned still technically work just fine (includes generic nokia button phone, iphone 4, lumia 640 and Huawei Mate 9 Pro. This is ik chronological order))

Edited by GoldenLag

9 minutes ago, Admiré said:

I have a galaxy s8 and I am very happy with it so far. Battery life is a bit worse now since I bought it but it is still WORLDS better than the phone I had before (galaxy alpha). We all know that phone batteries will die eventually and that we need to replace them when this happens. This got me thinking. Can I just keep on replacing the battery of my phone every 2 years or so and just use it for as long as possible? I know that other parts can degrade like the flash memory and the processor, but is it possible to keep the phone working for, lets say 5-6 years? The reason I'm asking isnt just because I'm a greedy bastard, but because I'm so used to seeing people having the same gaming pc for like 7-8 years and it works completely fine. I'm just curious since I'm happy with this phone and I dont see any reason to buy a new one yet. 

I would say yes, you most likely could get 5-6 years if the phone is reliable. Just remember everything fails sooner or later. It's kind of like what people do with custom ROMs on older phones so they can get the latest version of Android, increase battery life, storage, etc instead of being stuck on older versions of Android. But yeah it's possible.

The battery is not replaceable as far as I know so it might be possible if you're a Samsung technician but not really worth it IMO

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

My Iphone 4 is still operating just fine.

You can probably hold of replacing the battery to 5-6 years after purschase and then every 2-5 years depending how good batteries you get.

In theory you can keep using it for a veeery long time

One time I had to use my old 4s for a week since my main phone was damaged. People at my high school made fun of me but it worked fine for basic tasks. That phone is bulletproof.

1 minute ago, TheGermanEngie said:

One time I had to use my old 4s for a week since my main phone was damaged. People at my high school made fun of me but it worked fine for basic tasks. That phone is bulletproof.

People shrugged at my Lumia 640 that cost me 160$.

That thing had good old protective dissasembly, replacable battery and expandable storage. Only downside was windows 8/10 OS (negated by a Android Rom) and the fact you couldnt have more than 6 pages open in internet explorer at the time. If you had 7 it would delete one when you reopened the browser

Old phones just seem like lethal indestructible bricks.