This is getting annoying.

Jack Dvorak

I have an RX 580 R5 1600 and 8GB of ram but it won't oc to 3000mhz so rip, and I play fortnite. So it is very laggy. I open task manager and ya know ram is at like 75%-90% with only fortnite open. I've done the razer cortex thing and that's a bunch of baloney. This is annoying and I get fps drops down to like 10fps. I have amd 18.3.3 which is like the last known working fully driver for fortnite. don't hate me cuz i play the game btw lol

Screenshot (31).png

Very laggy? How many FPS do you have on Fortnite in Average? Also, at what setting do you play your game? What is the frequency of you RAM at the moment? 

CPU - R9 5900X | GPU - ASUS KO RTX 3070 | Storage - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 8TB Seagate HDD , 4TB Seagate HDD | Ram - 64GB DDR4 | OS - Windows 10 Pro | Case - NZXT S340 black

6 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

don't hate me cuz i play the game btw lol

No one was going to...but now that you mention it.... 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Dude, you have around 6GB of ram usage in the background apart from Fortnite.
Can you check what else is running in the background?
This is what i'm getting but i'm running 32GB ram so altogether it contributes to me only using 6GB ram ish.

Fortnite.jpg

So You Wanna Be A Playa, But Your Rig's Ain't Fly,
You Gotta Hit Us Up, To Get A Pimped Out Rig,

You've Got To Pimp My Riggggggg...  (DAMN RIGHT)

1 hour ago, mikedrewsmy said:

This is what i'm getting but i'm running 32GB ram so altogether it contributes to me only using 6GB ram ish.

nothing else is running thats the problem

here is a screenshot of cpuz and task manager

Screenshot (33).png

1 hour ago, Benliam12 said:

Very laggy? How many FPS do you have on Fortnite in Average? Also, at what setting do you play your game? What is the frequency of you RAM at the moment? 

150-250fps, and its all at the lowest except for textures and view distance. I don't even know what my ram is at right now. I believe 2133... it is 2x4Gb sticks of corsair vengeance lpx rated for 3000mhz but it doesn't go to that.//wand

59 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

here is a screenshot of cpuz and task manager

Is your C drive being utilized at 100% like that when you're gaming? Why is your task manager chewing up disk time? Is a single CPU core being utilized to 100% when you're playing fortnite?

Either issue could severely limit the potential of any program you try to run, not just a video game.

Also is 150-250fps your average when it's "laggy" as well?

51 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

Is your C drive being utilized at 100% like that when you're gaming? Why is your task manager chewing up disk time? Is a single CPU core being utilized to 100% when you're playing fortnite?

Either issue could severely limit the potential of any program you try to run, not just a video game.

Also is 150-250fps your average when it's "laggy" as well?

No 150-250fps is when it isn't laggy. Just like randomly it gets insanely laggy for no reason.

it is mainly things that use ram like video editors or stuff like that i expierience major slowdowns.

Those 100% CPU and 80-90% RAM spikes may have something to do with it. Try running the game with your task manager and resource monitor open in your second monitor to identify what is taking up resources while you're gaming. It almost looks like it could be something malicious, or it's a very resource intensive background task that needs to be shut off when gaming.

What does your PC run at startup, and what do you keep running all the time?

1 minute ago, Fullmental said:

Those 100% CPU and 80-90% RAM spikes may have something to do with it. Try running the game with your task manager and resource monitor open in your second monitor to identify what is taking up resources while you're gaming. It almost looks like it could be something malicious, or it's a very resource intensive background task that needs to be shut off when gaming.

We can't rule out the obvious.

hows your internet

My life

46 minutes ago, Himommies said:

hows your internet

my ping is a steady 30 in game. It is not that lol.

48 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

the only enabled startup things are logitech for my mouse and windows defender.

1 hour ago, mikedrewsmy said:

could it be the fact  that 3.3 GB of memory is "cached" and not able to be in use?

Screenshot (34).png

Just now, Jack Dvorak said:

could it be the fact  that 3.3 GB of memory is "cached" and not able to be in use?

No, cached memory doesn't count as used.

41 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

No, cached memory doesn't count as used.

i'm just checking cuz fortnite uses "35%" of my 8gb, yet it only uses 1600mb... 

47 minutes ago, Himommies said:

hows your internet

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

i'm just checking cuz fortnite uses "35%" of my 8gb, yet it only uses 1600mb... 

You need to view your entire system ram usage, not just that for you as a user. It's possible a system service is sucking up all the memory. Next time it's up at 80-90% usage, use RamMap and also use the details pane on the task manager to sort by ram used, that should give you an idea of what's using it all up. Same for disk usage and the resource monitor.

2 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

You need to view your entire system ram usage, not just that for you as a user. It's possible a system service is sucking up all the memory. Next time it's up at 80-90% usage, use RamMap and also use the details pane on the task manager to sort by ram used, that should give you an idea of what's using it all up. Same for disk usage and the resource monitor.

in case ya wanna see this, it says fortnite is using 2gb of ram when it is not even launched... with everything closed, including i closed chrome for a sec there, it uses 2.5gb of ram on IDLE

Capture.PNG

30 minutes ago, Jack Dvorak said:

in case ya wanna see this, it says fortnite is using 2gb of ram when it is not even launched...

Someone else would have to chime in, but I imagine Epic Games uses a quicklauncher of some sort to improve first load times. I've never played the game and don't really own anything from Epic Games TBH.

Just now, Fullmental said:

Someone else would have to chime in, but I imagine Epic Games uses a quicklauncher of some sort to improve first load times. I've never played the game and don't really own anything from Epic Games TBH.

ah I love having 8gb of ram but 3 of it just doesn't exist for mee

Why don't you try running it without Chrome also open. That hogs quite a bit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

25 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why don't you try running it without Chrome also open. That hogs quite a bit.

I had nothing open. As stated already

28 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

If I slappeda 8gb more in there, does it matter what speed, as long as it is ddr4?