Paging FIle

Hello good people, 

I somehow came across the Virtual Memory tab in Windows and something looked very suspicious so I wanted to ask you if this was right, because when I tried googling it everyone was saying a lot of different things so could not find the solution for my exact question. In my Virtual Memory Tab it says under "Total paging file size for all drives" that Recommended value is : 1913MB and Currently allocated is: 13824MB, I have to drives on HDD there is no paging files, but on SSD on my C Disk it says System Managed, I guess System managed must be true but, I am just suspicious about how this currently allocated memory is much higher than recommended, any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

i have always used 16GB RAM and when i moved to SSD, i sorted my size to 0.

mechanical drives need it due to the 'speed' of the data stream (too slow). using the SSD, the speed and pipeline is there and re-writing information over and over tends to deteriorate the life-span. no 'memory' issues ever since. if you feel you'd like to still have that luxury, then move the pagefile to another drive (HDD).

13 hours ago, airdeano said:

i have always used 16GB RAM and when i moved to SSD, i sorted my size to 0.

mechanical drives need it due to the 'speed' of the data stream (too slow). using the SSD, the speed and pipeline is there and re-writing information over and over tends to deteriorate the life-span. no 'memory' issues ever since. if you feel you'd like to still have that luxury, then move the pagefile to another drive (HDD).

I guess you don't use badly coded software then.

You can move pagefile to HDD no problems, or no problems most of the time. In rare occasion if HDD isn't detected on boot, you end up with very laggy boot. Pagefile is supposed to be used when RAM is filled. But in real life software such as Adobe Photoshop use it as reserve when loading plugins and stuff like that. Meaning that if you use any software which is coded to use pagefile, they might not work correctly or even crash when there's no pagefile. This is main reason why there should always be some of it. But amount and drive is up to you.

For 16gigs of RAM, I'd say keep 4gb-16gb on HDD. And if you are suspicious of Windows always working correctly, have small, maybe 256mb or 512mb spare on SSD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I just wanted to know why does windows allocate so much more than recommended 

15 hours ago, GodWit said:

I just wanted to know why does windows allocate so much more than recommended 

If you leave it at system controlled, it allocates more when needed. Plus, if you have iGPU enabled, that is also added as allocated virtual memory.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv