Sub $500 Budget Build

My mother in law needs a new web browsing / Homescapes "gaming" pc. 

Need to keep it under $500 USD and would like it to have an upgrade path.  I was looking at a Ryzen 2200G and a mini ITX, but size is not as big of a deal as budget. I will be moving a 1TB HD and an optical drive from the existing Prebuilt system. 

Here is a pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3BngQZ

Any suggestions would be great, she wants to wait a couple of months so I have time.

Nice build! Idd maybe stretch the extra bucks for a Samsung or crucial SSD (this kingston is shhhhhit) but otherwise nice job brother

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Just now, HZapperz said:

That psu is really over kill.

it is but he wanted upgradeability... so maybe for later for a dGPU

There are cheaper SSDs on Newegg from TeamGroup, and what about using used parts? Something Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge would work fine for this PC, and unless your mother in law is going to be rendering/encoding or other tasks that involve lots of threads, the i7-2600 and i7-3770 are still incredibly powerful, especially at their current price (on ebay, the i7 3770 goes for around $100). It's a bit unfortunate though, that RAM pricing.

33 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Nice build! Idd maybe stretch the extra bucks for a Samsung or crucial SSD (this kingston is shhhhhit) but otherwise nice job brother

Thanks, I was looking more at price. I will look at a different one 

33 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

it is but he wanted upgradeability... so maybe for later for a dGPU

Exactly 

27 minutes ago, Seagull Likes Fries said:

There are cheaper SSDs on Newegg from TeamGroup, and what about using used parts? Something Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge would work fine for this PC, and unless your mother in law is going to be rendering/encoding or other tasks that involve lots of threads, the i7-2600 and i7-3770 are still incredibly powerful, especially at their current price (on ebay, the i7 3770 goes for around $100). It's a bit unfortunate though, that RAM pricing.

Only thing I was worried about with that would be upgrading in the future. With AM4, I can pop in a newer CPU and Dedicated Graphics later on 

hope you considered the cost of OS otherwise build looks good  :)

Here's my build w/ discrete GPU which is probably overkill for your mother in law

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($53.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PowerColor - Radeon RX 570 4GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($36.37 @ B&H) 
Total: $520.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-05 17:44 EDT-0400

good luck! 

1 hour ago, Dryden said:

Here's my build w/ discrete GPU which is probably overkill for your mother in law

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($94.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($36.37 @ B&H) 

good luck! 

He recommended this exact build on an other thread don’t get this OP

PSU is a firecracker and the MOBO is rubbish 

yes it’s a little faster but that comes a the cost of reliability and fire danger literally.... 

Oh and: this build is funny? why spend extra on the R3 2200G with the iGPU when you have a dGPU? 

But: the SSD is worth considering maybe even a real decent one like from Samsung or Crucial 

2 hours ago, Seagull Likes Fries said:

the you’re losing out on for example the new interfaces etc and upgradebility is near to non existent then 

46 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

He recommended this exact build on an other thread don’t get this OP

PSU is a firecracker and the MOBO is rubbish 

yes it’s a little faster but that comes a the cost of reliability and fire danger literally.... 

Oh and: this build is funny? why spend extra on the R3 2200G with the iGPU when you have a dGPU? 

But: the SSD is worth considering maybe even a real decent one like from Samsung or Crucial 

Again, build was merely a suggestion. OP can always drop dedicated gpu.

.... and please provide sources... not merely conjecture... like this and that is a fire hazard does not help

4 hours ago, Dryden said:

good luck! 

Any reason you went with a 350 vs 450 board?

2 hours ago, Dryden said:

OP can always drop dedicated gpu.

Plan on adding one later on if she decides to try any real games.

1 hour ago, EchoRebounded said:

Any reason you went with a 350 vs 450 board?

The 350 was cheaper than the 450 and needed to juggle parts to fit the RX 570 near the budget.  

Your posted build looks good. Go with it. good luck

13 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

the you’re losing out on for example the new interfaces etc and upgradebility is near to non existent then 

The only major downside I can see from using ivy bridge is lack of NVME support, but SATA3 SSDs are still really fast for game loading, and the i7 3770 will still max out a GTX 1080Ti at 4k (or a RX580/1060 at 1080p). I suppose that in 2020 the AM4 socket will have some beastly CPUs, but for gaming and web browsing? Doubt the i7 3770 will be obsolete for another 5 years.

You can save 20$ with the ram, and get 3000mhz because 3200 is overkill.

The psu is id say a lil overkill buy since you want an upgrade path then its okay.

The mobo is tooo expensive. Youd be great with an AB350. Or an x370

If you can live without an ssd. Then you could probably fit a gpu in there.

Heres my look at a 500$ build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hgxzFt

Its a little over budget but honestly id get it.

1 hour ago, Seagull Likes Fries said:

The only major downside I can see from using ivy bridge is lack of NVME support, but SATA3 SSDs are still really fast for game loading, and the i7 3770 will still max out a GTX 1080Ti at 4k (or a RX580/1060 at 1080p). I suppose that in 2020 the AM4 socket will have some beastly CPUs, but for gaming and web browsing? Doubt the i7 3770 will be obsolete for another 5 years.

obsolete not but Ryzen is more efficient and will be more future prof. For now yes both are ok to use, but ryzen will stay that way longer.

1 hour ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

You can save 20$ with the ram, and get 3000mhz because 3200 is overkill.

Yeh but with the iGPU fast ram is even more important.

The mobo is tooo expensive. Youd be great with an AB350. Or an x370

B450 is worth it becasue of longer updates, such as for new CPUS or potential security stuff

if you can live without an ssd. Then you could probably fit a gpu in there.

yes BUT DONT in a everyday macine SSD is the most important thing! For the "snappienes"! Better get a nice GPU down the line.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hgxzFt

Its a little over budget but honestly id get it.

A few months ago this was a real nice build! But now i strangly suggest getting B450 and a Ryzen 2xxx becasue of upgradeeability efficiency and stuff. And dude she DONT need a dGPU for web browsing. Beter get a Nvidea 2070 (or however ib be called or the next AMD generation then and have serios power)