Testing a CPU without using thermal paste?

Can I test if my CPU works by putting on a cooler without thermal paste (or even without a cooler at all)? I dont want the hassle of cleaning it before returning it if it is faulty.

-Parts-

Core i7 8086k 4.0GHz (4.6GHz OC) - ASUS z390 ROG Maximus XI code - Corsair H115i - 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600MHz - Windforce GTX 1050Ti - Corsair HX750i - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

-Upgrades when I get the money-

Undecided on the GPU - ASUS ROG PG278QR 1440p 144Hz (165Hz OC)

You can, but keep the test under 2 minutes. If you run it without a cooler, the CPU will warm up until its T-Junction and auto shut off to avoid damage.

hi.

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

You can, but keep the test under 2 minutes. If you run it without a cooler, the CPU will warm up until its T-Junction and auto shut off to avoid damage.

I just want to test if it posts

-Parts-

Core i7 8086k 4.0GHz (4.6GHz OC) - ASUS z390 ROG Maximus XI code - Corsair H115i - 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600MHz - Windforce GTX 1050Ti - Corsair HX750i - Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

6 minutes ago, RushFan said:

I just want to test if it posts

Put the cooler on.

Do you realize that when you get the i7 8086K, you will need a new motherboard? (Also a new GPU as it will hold back the CPU.)

hi.

4 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Put the cooler on.

Do you realize that when you get the i7 8086K, you will need a new motherboard? (Also a new GPU as it will hold back the CPU.)

I have a new board and I just wanted the fancy box, it wasnt for gaming performance

-Parts-