Can't disable secure boot

Discordstar

I'm having trouble installing windows 10 on my new built.

after asking a microsoft employee they told me to disable the secure boot.

but for some reason there is no option for that, its either

- Other OS

- Windows UEFI mode

what do i do?

My mobo is a Asus Prime B350-plus

Please explain the issue you're having. There's no reason why you should to disable secure boot.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Please explain the issue you're having. There's no reason why you should to disable secure boot.

Ok so i just finished my new pc.

and since there is no OS on the ssd and hdd.

i wanted to install win 10 on my ssd.

i make a installation usb with microsoft media creationtool.

i put it in the pc and boot it up, get a win logo but then see a blue screen with the error message:

Recovery

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system. 

File: windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Error code: 0xc0000098"

something about the kernel.

i don't know what to do.

both someone on a windows forum and microsoft agent said to "legacy" and secure boot "disabled".

but i can't.

27 minutes ago, Discordstar said:

Ok so i just finished my new pc.

and since there is no OS on the ssd and hdd.

i wanted to install win 10 on my ssd.

i make a installation usb with microsoft media creationtool.

i put it in the pc and boot it up, get a win logo but then see a blue screen with the error message:

Recovery

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system. 

File: windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Error code: 0xc0000098"

something about the kernel.

i don't know what to do.

both someone on a windows forum and microsoft agent said to "legacy" and secure boot "disabled".

but i can't.

That error has nothing to do with secure boot. Your hard drive has remnants of an old Windows install on it which your computer is trying to boot but cannot.

To fix is very simple...

Before you begin ensure you only have the drive you want Windows installed to connected. Unplug any other hard drives.

1) Head into UEFI and set the boot option to Windows UEFI Mode then save and exit

2) Power the machine off entirely

3) Insert the USB drive containing the Windows Installation

4) Power on the machine and tap the F8 key repeatedly until the boot menu appears

5) Select the USB Drive from the boot menu and press enter

6) Run through Windows Setup until the drive partitioning screen

7) Delete ALL existing partitions on the drive so it's entirely RAW

8) Without creating any partitions yourself just click Next and allow Windows to automatically create the partition scheme for you (this step is important in case the drive is formatted with MBR instead of GPT, allowing Windows to do this for you means it will automatically convert the drive to GPT)

9) Finish installing as normal

10) ??

11) Profit

Once Windows is installed you can shut down and reconnect any other drives you disconnected.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That error has nothing to do with secure boot. Your hard drive has remnants of an old Windows install on it which your computer is trying to boot but cannot.

To fix is very simple...

Before you begin ensure you only have the drive you want Windows installed to connected. Unplug any other hard drives.

1) Head into UEFI and set the boot option to Windows UEFI Mode then save and exit

2) Power the machine off entirely

3) Insert the USB drive containing the Windows Installation

4) Power on the machine and tap the F8 key repeatedly until the boot menu appears

5) Select the USB Drive from the boot menu and press enter

6) Run through Windows Setup until the drive partitioning screen

7) Delete ALL existing partitions on the drive so it's entirely RAW

8) Without creating any partitions yourself just click Next and allow Windows to automatically create the partition scheme for you (this step is important in case the drive is formatted with MBR instead of GPT, allowing Windows to do this for you means it will automatically convert the drive to GPT)

9) Finish installing as normal

10) ??

11) Profit

both ssd and hhd are empty drives there's nothing in them.
how does it detect windows on it?

10 minutes ago, Discordstar said:

both ssd and hhd are empty drives there's nothing in them.
how does it detect windows on it?

Are they new drives? If the old install was MBR then it's possible the drives appear totally empty but still contain a boot record.

I'd like you to try a test please. Unplug both hard drives from the board then plug in the USB drive and power the machine on.

Do you get the same error message?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Are they new drives?

I'd like you to try a test please. Unplug both hard drives from the board then plug in the USB drive and power the machine on.

Do you get the same error message?

ssd should be, came sealed. hdd however was wrapped in bubble-wrap.
but both are empty, i checked it with linux usb

Just now, Discordstar said:

ssd should be, came sealed. hdd however was wrapped in bubble-wrap.
but both are empty, i checked it with linux usb

As I said, if the HDD had an MBR install on it then it's possible there's a boot record left over in the FAT.

By disconnected both drives the idea is to make sure your USB drive is booting properly. It's entirely possible your USB drive wasn't created properly and that's what causing the error.

Again please disconnect both drives from the board and try booting the usb installer. Do you get the same error or does it get past it?

26 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

As I said, if the HDD had an MBR install on it then it's possible there's a boot record left over in the FAT.

By disconnected both drives the idea is to make sure your USB drive is booting properly. It's entirely possible your USB drive wasn't created properly and that's what causing the error.

Again please disconnect both drives from the board and try booting the usb installer. Do you get the same error or does it get past it?

disconnected both sata cable still get the error

do need to disable fast boot or something?

14 minutes ago, Discordstar said:

disconnected both sata cable still get the error

do need to disable fast boot or something?

Nope, in that case your USB drive isn't working correctly.

You used the official Windows Creator, correct? Did it give you any errors?

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

no

19 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

found out it was one of my rams thats causing it.

i used memtest v.7.5 to check it out, but got no errors

got 4 passes with it.

why is this happening

with the bad ram i get error 0xc0000017