I need help figuring out compatibility

Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
32 minutes ago, AFabledGamer said:

So I'm hoping to buy and later upgrade an Acer aspire xc-780.

Forget it.

That unit is a Small Form Factor Business machine. You can't make a Gaming Machine out of that.

Although you could, theoretically, transplant the Board, wich looks like a DTX Form factor, wich was introduced by AMD, it doesn't look like the Board is necessarily with ATX Power Supplys compatible. Especially with Business Machines it is rather common to use proprietary connectors.

So save money and get normal consumer components.

So I'm hoping to buy and later upgrade an Acer aspire xc-780. I want the computer as it will suit all my needs but I would like to adjust it in order to be able to game on it aswell. The issue I have is that the case appears rather small and I hope to add a graphics card and more ram. I'm hoping to find out how I can accomplish this. Such as what card is recommended, should I just move the components from the original case to another and if so what restrictions are there when I do this. 

The main problem with transplanting components such as motherboards from an OEM system to an aftermarket case is form factor.

A lot of system providers such as Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc like to use weird proprietary form factors that make fitting their boards into aftermarket cases a little bit tricky.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

32 minutes ago, AFabledGamer said:

So I'm hoping to buy and later upgrade an Acer aspire xc-780.

Forget it.

That unit is a Small Form Factor Business machine. You can't make a Gaming Machine out of that.

Although you could, theoretically, transplant the Board, wich looks like a DTX Form factor, wich was introduced by AMD, it doesn't look like the Board is necessarily with ATX Power Supplys compatible. Especially with Business Machines it is rather common to use proprietary connectors.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

the XC780 will only fit an SFF 1050ti at the most, if you can I'd look for a regular midtower prebuilt.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The main problem with transplanting components such as motherboards from an OEM system to an aftermarket case is form factor.

A lot of system providers such as Dell, Acer, Lenovo, etc like to use weird proprietary form factors that make fitting their boards into aftermarket cases a little bit tricky.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll start looking for another system altogether. I wasn't aware that some providers did this with the form factors aswell as other things so i think I'll just avoid this. 

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Forget it.

Thanks, I didn't realise the issues this would have I was just hoping to use this computer as a base as I've seen something similar done with an American version of this pc. It has many similar parts but a larger case and a different power supply and was hoping I could use this one to do a similar job

4 hours ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

the XC780 will only fit an SFF 1050ti at the most, if you can I'd look for a regular midtower prebuilt.

I hadn't realised the size was so limiting until I posted here. Thank you! I'm going to keep looking so thanks for your help.