Most user friendly linux distro?

Go to solution Solved by tikker,
22 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If you're linux user then yes, it's easy for you. But I assume that guy who ask "what distro" isn't linux freak, so he will not be able to help in case something will be wrong.

And no - I was tested few linux distros, including Lubuntu, and even that "lightweight" distro can work like crap sometimes, CPU to 100% problem, web browser that eats resources with only few tabs open etc. I don't think linux is user friendly. It's not, unless you're using only preinstalled software and nothing else - in this case works like any other operating system.

In Ubuntu for example, updates and installing new software etc. can all be done through a sort of "app store", so there really isn't that much to it. It definitely beats the "I don't care what you're doing, I'm updating now" Windows updates :P 

Performance will depend on the hardware and distro I guess, but my old (as in 10 years old by now) went from battery powered paperweights to being  usable again for simple tasks, with Linux (Mint) installed. I'm not saying you should purposely get old hardware to save money :P Linux isn't some magical pill to solve everything.

Knowing your way around the terminal will help, but for a facebook machine you'd never even need to touch it. It will take a bit of getting used to in the beginning probably, but so does Windows and so does MacOS.

On 8/1/2018 at 1:23 PM, Cupar19 said:

personally, i think that ubuntu and linux mint are very user friendly and i have heard many people say that zorin or elementary os are some of the most user friendly

Ill second mint with cinnamon very windows like.  A cross between windows 7 and windows 10 start menu with out the live tiles. On my laptop i use i3wm on a ubuntu based linux distro called micro watt i love how easy it is to open apps change between windows quit apps and even shut down.

Ever one owes it to them selves to give i3wm a try as a extra window manager. I was personally surprised at how intuitive it actually is and find my self wanting to press windows key +d and start typing a program name on windows machines and going damn this feels clunky having to use the mouse...

For the new linux user coming to linux go with lxde xfce cinnamon or other wm/de with a start like menu. It will make he transition much smoother. Later try some of the box types like openbox flux box etc and i3wm. KDE is like a feature packed windows gui but is mega resource hungry. If you have the horse power you might like all its eye candy . 

Thing about linux is you can make the os yours and yours alone. Heck you can mix and match window manager components to really give it a tweaked to you set up. Also distros based on ubuntu 18.04 all have time shift which is like windows restore on steroids. So you have to worry allot less about breaking something.