FTW+ SLI Config Not Working

phillipmalecot101

Hello Community,

First time post but long time reader, and watcher. Just wanted to first say, you guys are great, and thanks for any help in advance. I am working on refurbing my dad's old computer from 2008.. I picked up a used msi z170a sli plus mb, a 6600k and a set of EVGA GTX 970s water cooled by bitspower. Got everything hooked up correctly; gpu is detected in HW monitor but when I go to plug the cable from the back panel (Integrated) hdmi to the graphics card hdmi. It flashes the home screen then crashes and stays crashed and after this integrated graphics won't work either, no display whatsoever. Fast boot is on so it goes straight into windows without letting me check the bios, but I'm not too familiar with msi bios anyway. Any help to remedy this problem would be appreciated. I downloaded newest vga drivers for my board from msi, and I'm running the latest nvidia software. 

What power supply are you using, try clearing the cmos and see if that helps, you should still be able to get into the bios with fast boot on you just go to mash the delete key non stop once you hit the power button and it might take a few tries.

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Brand new EVGA 850 watt gold but it only came with one set of vga cables so I bought these from amazon and not sure if they are a symptom here.. I literally hit the delete key as quick as I can and it boots straight into windows. This computer has been driving me nuts with it's finicky integrated graphics; won't show me anything until i'm in windows. I've cleared cmos once already, I'll try again at lunch. Thanks for the help!

61gGaU0LWvL._SL1200_.jpg

2 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

mash the delete key non stop

You can just hold it, it signals to the computer like your pressing it repeatedly

2 hours ago, phillipmalecot101 said:

used msi z170a sli plus mb,

Do you have another board you can test it with? 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

It's a real pain in the butt with the water cooling, but I can test tonight with an old lga 775 board that supports sli. It still has never detected both cards; just a single gtx 970 even though both slots are ocupied and powered by the above splitter cable. Let me know if this is out of the ordinary. I've clean installed windows probably 5 times in the past 3 days. Thanks for delete key info.

50 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

You can just hold it, it signals to the computer like your pressing it repeatedly

Do you have another board you can test it with? 

6 hours ago, phillipmalecot101 said:

It's a real pain in the butt with the water cooling, but I can test tonight with an old lga 775 board that supports sli. It still has never detected both cards; just a single gtx 970 even though both slots are ocupied and powered by the above splitter cable. Let me know if this is out of the ordinary. I've clean installed windows probably 5 times in the past 3 days. Thanks for delete key info.

I would try that first, if not I would definitely get a second cable set now or later. That's a lot of power to run off one power cable, and could be the issue. 

Im pretty sure you can still get a complete sleeved cable set which includes two vga power cables from EVGA's eBay account for $30

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys.