Desktop Stereo Speaker Setup Help

LaserBoss

Hello,

I was planning on purchasing a pair of Edifier R980T 4" Active Bookshelf Speakers and plugging them into my FiiO E10K USB DAC. My headphones are plugged into the primary 3.5 mm headphone jack and the speakers would be plugged into the secondary. Is there some way I could add an in-line on/off switch so I could turn them on/off without having to reach around in the back. The reason being is sometimes I want audio coming just through my headphones and not my speakers. 

Thank You

how about using one of those remote control power sockets?

past that it's no voodoo to put an on/off switch in an audio extension cord.

quick explanation:

- power cord has 3 wires: ground, L, and R

- you get a two-pole on/off switch and an enclosure it fits in

- you cut the L and R wire, and add the two poles of the power switch in between

- put the enclosure around it

- profit.

EDIT: this setup will make a bit of a "pop" when you turn it on and off, ask an (actual) electronics engineer what to add to filter these out.

10 minutes ago, LaserBoss said:

Hello,

I was planning on purchasing a pair of Edifier R980T 4" Active Bookshelf Speakers and plugging them into my FiiO E10K USB DAC. My headphones are plugged into the primary 3.5 mm headphone jack and the speakers would be plugged into the secondary. Is there some way I could add an in-line on/off switch so I could turn them on/off without having to reach around in the back. The reason being is sometimes I want audio coming just through my headphones and not my speakers. 

Thank You

You should in theory be able to use something like this:  (This is an example they probably have cheaper ones out there)

https://www.amazon.ca/SDS-Switcher-Composite-Selector-Consoles/dp/B01CU0FAZW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532978453&sr=8-3&keywords=rca%2Bswitch%2Bbox&th=1

and also purchase a 3.5mm to RCA cable to go from the FiiO into this box then a basic RCA cable from this box into the new speakers you buy..

all you gotta do is press the buttons on the front and it should switch your playback device (speakers/headphones) 

Also just another suggestion if your looking at powered desktop monitors take a good look at the Micca PB42X ,  these are fantastic speakers with really good imaging for near field use defiantly worth a look if your in the market.  I have the passive versions MB42X with an amp and they are incredible for the price.