Windows 10 reset, what does it remove?

tikker

In short, my touchpad is acting weird and I deleted the HID touchpad from device manager hoping it would re-detect and fix it, but now it's gone. There aren't any official drivers to download either, so I was thinking of resetting Windows. The thing is, I also dual boot linux, which I pretty much only use. Windows is just there in case I might need it.

Does resetting Windows 10 just reinstall Windows on its designated partition, or does it take everything with it? I can probably deal with restoring the boot loader, but I'd rather not have it nuke my drive if I can help it... (yes I do have a backup).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

First of all - this is really nice forum where peoeple tries to help problems, so maybe you want to someone help you with installing touchpad drivers instead of resetting Windows in this case? It's really simple fix, nothing that needs resetting your system. Do you even try to force detecting drivers change from pull-down menu in device manager? Action > Scan for hardware changes? What is model of your computer/laptop?

Resetting or reinstalling windows should be last action when everything fails. In this case it's just missing one device.

18 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

First of all - this is really nice forum where peoeple tries to help problems, so maybe you want to someone help you with installing touchpad drivers instead of resetting Windows in this case? It's really simple fix, nothing that needs resetting your system. Do you even try to force detecting drivers change from pull-down menu in device manager? Action > Scan for hardware changes? What is model of your computer/laptop?

Resetting or reinstalling windows should be last action when everything fails. In this case it's just missing one device.

Yeah I've been through it all. It's a Dell XPS 13 9360 and it has known issues with the touchpads. I've had it replaced once already. Thing is this model has no drivers associated with it on Dell's website or anywhere. The only thing that's findable is that it's a Precision touchpad :P

I've tried Dell's update software, updated the BIOS and everything (because why not), tried reinstalling the drivers through Windows, scanning for hardware changes, disabling/enabling the HID mouse stuff etc. Then I saw a "HID-compliant touchpad" in the device manager so I tried removing that and searching for changes, but again nothing.

The main culprit is the I2C driver probably though, since both Windows and Linux complain about "failed to get hid descriptor". This and some other things lead me to believe it's a hardware issue, but well, I want to be ahead of tech support and try what I can I guess.

Hence I was wondering if the reset would play nice with my dual boot.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB