Windows Server 2012 R2 / MDT / Networking issue

Go to solution Solved by Spev,

So it turns out this was a DHCP issue as predicted by noticing APIPA address. For some reason even though my DHCP server was setup correctly the server had not yet been "authorized" in active directory so couldn't assign IPs....

I'm working on a home lab and building a reference image. I'm following something almost exactly like this guide: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/deploy-windows-mdt/create-a-windows-10-reference-image Skip down to the "build the windows 10 reference image" section.

Everything prior is setup. However, I get the following error:

image.png.5979c4af3668f29e1437fb9e2235f0da.png

I have verified that the credentials in the bootstrap.ini file are valid, I even tried resetting them to be sure. Then I tried pushing F8 to see if I could even ping the server which hosts the deployment share, as I read even though it says connection okay this could be a network issue, here are the results:

image.png.f973528692066590a27b9e7512e2fa59.png

Not only did the ping fail to the server, but I realize my PC I'm trying to image has an APIPA address. 

My network setup is slightly different than the article. These are all Hyper-V VMs, and they are all on an internal virtual switch. This includes the MDT server and this machine as well. They get internet from another VM acting as a virtual router which gets them actual access to internet.

There is a DC on the internal network running DHCP and DNS. I'm thinking that is maybe the issue since this PC doesn't seem to be getting assigned an IP? Therefore it's unable to access the deployment share. Any ideas of how to fix this, or any other ideas as to the problem?

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

So it turns out this was a DHCP issue as predicted by noticing APIPA address. For some reason even though my DHCP server was setup correctly the server had not yet been "authorized" in active directory so couldn't assign IPs....

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]