Complete MB/CPU Upgrade worth it?

Hi All,

I built my first PC back in 2015 on a budget to get my feet wet in this hobby.  I still consider myself a novice, but now I am considering upgrading my MB and CPU so I can start getting into overclocking and better cooling set-ups.  I am considering upgrading the MB and CPU to an Intel 8700k.  Is it worth it to spend money now for the upgrade or wait until the end of the year or perhaps even next summer? Any tips on how to tackle upgrading my system considering cost and future proofing would be much appreciated. Thanks.

MB:  MSI Z97 Gaming 5

CPU:  Intel I5-4690 3.5ghz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6gb (upgraded to this GPU around last December)

Monitor: 27' LG 4k HDR IPS 60mhz (upgraded to this monitor last week)

HD: WD 2tb 7200rpm mechanical drive

Memory: 16gb DDR3

Power Supply:  Antec 850

8700K and a reputable Z370 board is a fine upgrade from a 4690. Also note that you'll need to buy DDR4 RAM since 8th gen isn't compatible with DDR3. Despite the hardware jump, it's certainly future-proof.

The new 9th gen CPUs could be coming soon along with Z390(?) but personally, I don't feel like the 9th gen will bring much improvement.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

One possibility that going with used parts might give you is switching to a used 4790k which in some cases is roughly equivalent to a 6700k. Just have to swap out the processor. Then probably pick up an aftermaket cooler for it. Though doing that at least as of right now in the US is pretty much guaranteed to be a $300.00 invesment or so.

If switching to coffee lake then going with an 8600k instead of an 8700k save you a bit of scratch and you'll get a difference of less than 5% in most games.

Rawr.

Seems to me that the cpu is fairly well matched with the gpu. Upgrading cpu is not going to deliver much better gaming performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.