Help looking for an amp/dac

Gravemind

I got the amp linked below a couple years ago,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0189EVGAG/ref=psdc_13880161_t3_B01CPUVPEM

It's been relatively fine, if weirdly incompatible with Windows 7 64bit at times, requiring uninstalls/re-installs sometimes.

I've got a little money for something better, but had no idea where to look or what. I only bought this one because my new pc had weirdly terrible headphone jacks.

I want something on the cheaper side (under $100, as low as possible) that...

1. Just plugs into my computer with a cord.

2. Can make deafeningly loud volume. I need to know it can drive/power anything I plug into it.

3. Must have a physical knob for volume control. I've gotten too sick of using media keys that don't allow the precision/quick volume adjustments I need.

I don't care if it's tubes or what. Just needs to meet those 3 criteria.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

idk if there is a lot to choose from in this price range. The smsl idea? It's not going to be deafeningly loud on some headphones... but it should generally be loud enough.

20 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

idk if there is a lot to choose from in this price range. The smsl idea? It's not going to be deafeningly loud on some headphones... but it should generally be loud enough.

Do you have a link?

57 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Do you have a link?

1 hour ago, an actual squirrel said:

Maybe this one? https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM

1 hour ago, gmentals said:

Looks perfect but how exactly would I connect it to my PC? Currently my speakers just use the 3.5mm audio passthrough from the monitor, and my current amp is micro-usb/usb. I don't have analog cables or optical.

Dac/Amps to Consider:

FX Audio DAC-X6 - Around $60 plug through usb and powered through wall socket. Really damn good for the price you can't go wrong with these if you're on a budget.

Audio Engine D3 - Around $60 on Massdrop similar the SMSL IDEA. (May have a better DAC than the SMSL IDEA I'm not sure)

FiiO Q1 Mark II - at the $100 mark. Portable but can be used with desk setup. Alot better than the FiiO E10k and what you currently have. Adds a bit of soundstage and bass.

Micca Origen G2 - also at the $100 mark. Comparable to the Schiit Fulla 2 (some prefer this over the Fulla 2)

Schiit Fulla 2 - at the $100 mark. Really popular for good reason unless you get QC issues (bad volume knob, treble spikes, harsh highs)

Dac/Amps you shouldn't consider:

SMSL M3 - around $80 on amazon; around $50 on Massdrop. Has very bad QC issues.

Nuforce uDAC 3 - around $50 on Massdrop. For some reason they added their own EQ settings to it which can make your headphones sound weird.

FiiO E10k - around $70 on amazon. Aka baby's first Dac/Amp combo not gonna drive higher impedance headphones well with these. Not worth the price.

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2018 at 11:07 PM, Drake Mallard said:

Dac/Amps to Consider:

FX Audio DAC-X6 - Around $60 plug through usb and powered through wall socket. Really damn good for the price you can't go wrong with these if you're on a budget.

Audio Engine D3 - Around $60 on Massdrop similar the SMSL IDEA. (May have a better DAC than the SMSL IDEA I'm not sure)

FiiO Q1 Mark II - at the $100 mark. Portable but can be used with desk setup. Alot better than the FiiO E10k and what you currently have. Adds a bit of soundstage and bass.

Micca Origen G2 - also at the $100 mark. Comparable to the Schiit Fulla 2 (some prefer this over the Fulla 2)

Schiit Fulla 2 - at the $100 mark. Really popular for good reason unless you get QC issues (bad volume knob, treble spikes, harsh highs)

Dac/Amps you shouldn't consider:

SMSL M3 - around $80 on amazon; around $50 on Massdrop. Has very bad QC issues.

Nuforce uDAC 3 - around $50 on Massdrop. For some reason they added their own EQ settings to it which can make your headphones sound weird.

FiiO E10k - around $70 on amazon. Aka baby's first Dac/Amp combo not gonna drive higher impedance headphones well with these. Not worth the price.

Drake Mallard, which one is better in terms of sound quality. FiiO Q1 Mark II or the Micca Origen G2. I can't decide between the two. I just want better sound for my desk, I don't have speakers and I don't go listen to music on the go. 

Thanks

On 10/25/2018 at 8:07 PM, saksham said:

@Bob Jones lol thats my high school name.....

Which one is better tho?

On 10/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, Bob Jones said:

Which one is better tho?

didnt read the question.. dont know the answer

On 10/28/2018 at 9:17 PM, saksham said:

didnt read the question.. dont know the answer

Saksham, which one is better in terms of sound quality. FiiO Q1 Mark II or the Micca Origen G2. I can't decide between the two. I just want better sound for my desk, I don't have speakers and I don't go listen to music on the go. 

Thanks

9 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Saksham, which one is better in terms of sound quality. FiiO Q1 Mark II or the Micca Origen G2. I can't decide between the two. I just want better sound for my desk, I don't have speakers and I don't go listen to music on the go. 

Thanks

i know nothing about sound/amps etc...*nothing*

On 11/1/2018 at 7:17 PM, saksham said:

i know nothing about sound/amps etc...*nothing*

That’s cool, @saksham . The sticky notes in this forum (if you go to the very first hundred or so) are solid. That’s where I learned  what I needed (and eventually, what I wanted). Welcome to this silly, silly hobby. ?

Honestly, (headphone quality) > (running around picking up Digital-Audio-Converters and headphone amplifiers).

Go for the best source files you can aquire (not necessarily super, duper 24-bit, >$50 files).  Well-engineered recordings trump expensive digital files.

If you’re hell-bent on getting an external device, I respect @Drake Mallard ‘s post above. I’m invested in the Schiit Audio ecosystem.