Upcoming 2nd Gen Threadripper *Rig Makeover*

What up everyone, got an upcoming Rig build and thought that the best way I can meet everyone is to post some info on my upcoming rig that I should be building within the next month or two to replace my 5 and a half year old PC that I currently have. This upcoming rig will be used for VM Management, Video Editing, Streaming and Gaming to name a few.  I Included a screenshot and PCPP Link with my Part List.  All feedback/suggestions are welcome, this will be my 1st time doing anything this overkill and pricey and 1st time delving into Custom Water-Cooling.

So far what Iv'e got part-wise is:

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNova P2 1000W

Video Card - Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 Limited Edition

PC Case - The beautiful Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic Der8aur Edition (White)

Parts still to get:

CPU - Threadripper 2nd Gen 2920X 12-Core

RAM - 32GB 3200Mhz  CAS 16 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB Memory (White)

Motherboard - Asrock X399M Taichi

Cooling Fans for Radiator(s) - Lian-Li Bora Lite 120mm Fans (x9)

Storage - Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD, Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 SSD, WD Black Series 6TB 7200RPM HDD

PCPP Link - https://pcpartpicker.com/user/islandg%40m3r/saved/#view=q37KZL

image.png.ecc96b45c13374aa0dfdfcb0db43725b.png

Don't buy two SSDs of smaller capacities, buy one with a high capacity. Buy a Seagate Barracuda Drive, not a WD Black (Just my opinion).

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Kikawa_21 said:

Is a Vega 56 enough for 1440p ultrawide 100hz?

Yes it its since it trades blows with the 1070ti in most games on that res.

Right, but you would have to game on only one. If that's your plane than that's fine.

8 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Don't buy two SSDs of smaller capacities, buy one with a high capacity. Buy a Seagate Barracuda Drive, not a WD Black (Just my opinion).

Thx for input, but I have always been a WD user never had any issues, had one or two Seagates as well in the past.

The 512GB nVME is going to be boot drive along with my main programs and games I use on regular, the 1TB nVME 970 Evo will mainly be for storage and maybe 1 or 2 secondary programs.  I almost got the 2TB WD Blue 2.5 SSD since they are priced so well.... but I decided on the 970 because...1 less cable to manage LOL trying to get a cleaner build interior =)

I'd be very tempted to simplify storage by using a 2TB 970 Evo. I would not worry about storage lifetime. Besides, the larger storage helps with wear leveling.

Is the mATX motherboard intended? It will look small in the ATX case.

What psu is contemplated?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

I'd be very tempted to simplify storage by using a 2TB 970 Evo. I would not worry about storage lifetime. Besides, the larger storage helps with wear leveling.

I might switch to the thought of the 2TB EVO nVME since Pro variants at that capacity cost an arm and a leg still =[ will have to work out the numbers, because I am aware that out of the 2 m.2 slots on the Mobo I'm looking at only one of them will produce full speed, at least for this 1st gen X399M.

For the case its really compact for a mid tower but still roomy and from the space I can see with my eyes a mATX will fit snugly in that beauty =)

For PSU I will be carrying over my EVGA 1000W Supernova P2 from my current system

The motherboard will not be "snug" there will be 76mm empty space below the motherboard.

Did you consider getting replacement cables for the psu rather than extensions?

5 minutes ago, brob said:

The motherboard will not be "snug" there will be 76mm empty space below the motherboard.

Did you consider getting replacement cables for the psu rather than extensions?

I said *snug* because I was planning on putting a radiator and fans on bottom of case as well as radiator and fans on the side ventilation area of the case, bottom radiator will be for GPU and the side one will be for CPU, leaving top fans as exhaust.  So that subtracts 30-40mm+ from that 76mm of space on bottom

As far as the cables, after adding everything up, full replacement kits costed me more than just the extensions for just the essential psu cables that would be in view.

26 minutes ago, brob said:

Just looked at price difference between 2TB 970 Evo nVME vs my current choices

2TB Evo = $794 on Newegg

My choices of the 512GB 970 Pro + 1TB 970 Evo = $620 combined, so I would be paying $174 extra for 500GB extra storage (Currently)

However if I get two 1TB 970 Evos to make that 2TB storage total, that will be $395+$395 = $790 in this case, negligible difference price-wise cause I save just $4 if I get single 2TB 970 Evo

Not even going to get into the 970 2TB Pro variant of that nVME cause it insanely high at $1140

The $174 for 500GB more storage is actually not a great deal when one considers the fact that a 512GB 970 Evo is ~$198. The attraction to me is that it simplifies storage, providing a single larger store and leaves more M.2 connectors open for upgrades.

12 minutes ago, brob said:

The $174 for 500GB more storage is actually not a great deal when one considers the fact that a 512GB 970 Evo is ~$198. The attraction to me is that it simplifies storage, providing a single larger store and leaves more M.2 connectors open for upgrades.

I agree with it not being a good deal as I mentioned above, but i was mainly referring to your 2TB Evo comment, just can't bring myself to fork up $800 for 2TB nVME when I can get a regular 2.5 SSD with same storage for like $300 less 

Understandable. The only reason to go with NVMe would be a workflow that would benefit. If not, a 2TB ssd makes more sense.