Cannot Reset PC-Keeping Files Or Not

RoyceTheFox

Recently, my computer has been infected with backdoors, malware, trojans, you name it. I pulled the network cord as soon as I saw everything go down, and started recovering. Did multiple scans with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender, looking for rootkits. I decided that there might be so much crap that its not worth the time to find it all and remove it. So I decided to completely reset my computer. Thing is, Windows won't allow me to. When I click on "Reset this PC", "Keep Files", then "reset", I'm taken to the first thing I see when I start this PC up with a little flicker of "Resetting This PC 1%" then it tells me it cannot restart my pc. I have tried using system restore at a manual point and a system created point. Neither will work. I have NO IDEA what to do and I am freaking out about this. Any help at all would be tremendously appreciated.

5 minutes ago, RoyceTheFox said:

Recently, my computer has been infected with backdoors, malware, trojans, you name it. I pulled the network cord as soon as I saw everything go down, and started recovering. Did multiple scans with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender, looking for rootkits. I decided that there might be so much crap that its not worth the time to find it all and remove it. So I decided to completely reset my computer. Thing is, Windows won't allow me to. When I click on "Reset this PC", "Keep Files", then "reset", I'm taken to the first thing I see when I start this PC up with a little flicker of "Resetting This PC 1%" then it tells me it cannot restart my pc. I have tried using system restore at a manual point and a system created point. Neither will work. I have NO IDEA what to do and I am freaking out about this. Any help at all would be tremendously appreciated.

Back up your needed documents and files. Then do a clean install of Windows.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

The malware probably disabled it. Malware lately has been using nasty tricks to disable certain Windows features. I had some guys laptop where the malware disabled Windows Update, Windows Defender, sfc /scannow, any other 3rd party scanners, Safe Mode would still load all of the malware, even DISM was messed up. The malware commonly corrupts a service or file needed.

I would do a clean install of Windows, like BlueChinchillaEatingDorito above said, just maybe use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO << that link instead as I have noticed that the US site often has an updated ISO.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

2 minutes ago, RoyceTheFox said:

Dumb question, my mind isn't straight right now: this will only affect C: right?

How many drives do you have in your system? When installing Windows, unplug the drives that you don't want your Windows files to be on. C is just a drive name for your boot drive.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

How many drives do you have in your system? When installing Windows, unplug the drives that you don't want your Windows files to be on. C is just a drive name for your boot drive.

Look for yourself. Primary and Secondary are both physical HDD's

image.png.73823a6a490ae640783eb424d08f663a.png

6 minutes ago, RoyceTheFox said:

Look for yourself. Primary and Secondary are both physical HDD's

image.png.73823a6a490ae640783eb424d08f663a.png

WHAT IN GODS NAME HP... During the Windows installation you could remove the HP partitions, but it's up to you. But yes, if you select the right drive it'll only effect the C/Primary drive.

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

WHAT IN GODS NAME HP... During the Windows installation you could remove the HP partitions, but it's up to you. But yes, if you select the right drive it'll only effect the C/Primary drive.

Lol yeah the drive was from a Hewelett-Packard desktop. Hey, atleast i kind of saved money? Whatever. So if I just unplug the SATA power & data from F, it will only install in C? Or is that only the formatting process

15 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

theres not enough space to back up my needed files. is there anything i can use like an online service or something to back up my files?