I think I just broke both my computers please help

oktorok

I made a post earlier this week that I am too panicked to link right now.

I have two computers on the same z97 platform. Computer A which was my main died suddenly last Sunday. I went to boot it up and it just started power cycling endlessly. I tried reseating everything, I tried different ram, I cleared CMOS, I tried a different power supply, and nothing the problem persisted.

I finally had time tonight to take my other computer apart to swap CPU's and see if it was a motherboard issue. I plugged the CPU from computer A in to still working computer B and it immediately had the same problem. the same power cycling for the same amount of time. But when I put the original CPU from B back in to it it was still broken.

Can a CPU kill a motherboard? am I fucked?

Possible but not likely ive seen it once but its because the cpu was causing shorts.

8 minutes ago, ozzlander said:

Possible but not likely ive seen it once but its because the cpu was causing shorts.

But when I went back to the known good configuration it still wasn't working. could those shorts have caused permanent damage?

1 minute ago, oktorok said:

But when I went back to the known good configuration it still wasn't working. could those shorts have caused permanent damage?

shorts can but in my case we put back the other cpu and it was fine again but every short is different and can do different things