Suddenly won't post; bios1 "dead"

tzxazrael

Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 wifi motherboard (bios f4g... i think? more below)

Ryzen 7 2700X cpu, Wraith Prism cooler

32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB

Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 1060 6gb video

1 m.2 Crucial MX500 500gb ssd

2x seagate barracuda 3TB HDD

13gb case fans, couple of commander pro's, several lighting hubs... all in a Corsair Obsidian 1000D.

yea i know, not the best way i could have spent my money, but anyway~~!

system was working fine. trying to set up file & printer sharing on local network. changed workgroup name, and shut computer down for a snack.

go to boot up, and it seems to be running into a bios loop. LED indicator keeps going "15", a few codes rapidly, "90", a few more codes, and then loops back to "15" again.

"hmm, boot problem in the bios?" ok i shut down, hit the clear cmos button, try again... it's added "3E" to the list it pauses on, but still essentially doing the same loop.

http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/715/faq-led-error-codes 
... i sort of understand what each code means, "this is a part of the boot process", but they have no significance to me. might help someone more experienced.

slightly panicky now (it's not even the end of the 4th week of owning all of this build)... i pull the motherboard out, and set up a test bench (ok so it's just the motherboard box)

switched over to the 2nd bios... boots up perfectly fine.

which is nice, but...

what caused it/ how do i prevent it?

is bios1 just "dead" (ie, RMA/return the sucker)... or can i repair it by like.. reflashing it or something? and if so, how? does @bios utility flash both bios in a dual-bios system, or do i have to pull off some other trickery?

plus side; my older system is still fully functional, so at least i've got that to use while i troubleshoot this new one.

try to reset the bios, look in the manual for how to do it, remove the cmos battery or change a pin header one space and then back, if that doesn't work, RMA is likely the best option because if its new and causing issues already, it likely wont get any better magically.

1 hour ago, tzxazrael said:

is bios1 just "dead" (ie, RMA/return the sucker)... or can i repair it by like.. reflashing it or something? and if so, how? does @bios utility flash both bios in a dual-bios system, or do i have to pull off some other trickery?

plus side; my older system is still fully functional, so at least i've got that to use while i troubleshoot this new one.

If you allow it to boot loop a few times it should recognise that the bios is corrupt and go into repair mode.
Bios 1 will pull the file from bios 2 and flash itself.

If that doesn't happen then you should be able to manually flash bios 1 from bios two.

It's not a race to the bottom.

@88pocketsthere's a "clear cmos" button on the I/O panel. (and a power switch too; very convenient for working out of the case). unfortunately that didn't do anything effective.

@0x1e i let it loop a bunch of times (at least a minute or two, with a loop about every second or so)... that doesn't seem to have had any effect.

at this point, i'm going to go with "it isn't magically going to get better", like 88pockets said. it hasn't even been a month, and something's quitting on me already? nah just send it back, mark it as a loss in the silicon lottery, and try something else.

So.. Ryzen 7, 2700X. what are the preferred motherboards currently? something with m.2 (though i think that's pretty much a given), preferably lots of sata connectors, and, if it has RGB it plays nice with the corsair system?

6 minutes ago, tzxazrael said:

@88pocketsthere's a "clear cmos" button on the I/O panel. (and a power switch too; very convenient for working out of the case). unfortunately that didn't do anything effective.

@0x1e i let it loop a bunch of times (at least a minute or two, with a loop about every second or so)... that doesn't seem to have had any effect.

at this point, i'm going to go with "it isn't magically going to get better", like 88pockets said. it hasn't even been a month, and something's quitting on me already? nah just send it back, mark it as a loss in the silicon lottery, and try something else.

So.. Ryzen 7, 2700X. what are the preferred motherboards currently? something with m.2 (though i think that's pretty much a given), preferably lots of sata connectors, and, if it has RGB it plays nice with the corsair system?

I prefer Asus or Gigabyte, but read reviews some models are better than others and i'd say spend a little extra for X470, may as well get the latest and greatest and most feature rich especially for the flagship Ryzen + CPU

10 hours ago, tzxazrael said:

I agree with 88,
Go with an Asus board. I have had my Asus board for 7ish years and it's still going strong even after quite a bit of abuse and heavy 24/7 overclocks.
Also you want to go for a medium to high end board. Low end, especially on AMD is REALLY low end.

It's not a race to the bottom.

X470 or B450 ?

i looked at the specs for the ROG STRIX B450-I vs the ROG STRIX X470-I...

as far as i can tell, the difference is approximately 2 SATA cables less that are included with the B450.

so is that it? or what am i missing?

this is kinda my first time actually paying attention to what i'm buying, instead of just pointing at the first thing i like "yes i'll take that, gimme now. oooh, it even works properly, isn't that nice."