SSD Firmware Issues, appears stuck in "Recovery Mode"

Well, seems today I've encountered a major screwup. While coding away I suddenly noticed IO errors all across the board. I initially blamed this on a shoddy SATA connection with a "janky" connection, but swapping cables, or putting the drive into an USB enclosure did not help. I do fully expect the janky cable causing a disconnect to be the cause of the problems at hand here, which is of course my fault for trusting such a shoddy cable with the drive to begin with.

It appears that the problem with the SSD is that it is stuck in a sort of "recovery" or "factory mode". A screencap of GSmartControl and some older forum threads seam to confirm the hypothesis, but I've yet to see a thread where people have been succesful in recovering the drive. The only lead I can find is an old forum post on the Corsair forums, essentially telling me that they can "swap" the mode of the SSD around. Running the firmware update tool however, warns me that if I continue, I could lose my data. Do you think it is still wise to attempt this "trick". I've found multiple threads leading to the thread I linked, but I'm not quite so sure. It does seem impossible to run software based recovery tools, at least those that I have access to as a regular guy, since only the firmware storage seems to be exposed to the system.

I really hope you guys will be able to provide some assistance, other solutions I could try or just weigh your opinion if I should attempt the FW upgrade.

kt5cud.png

YfLBmU.png

do a 'ssd reset'

leave it powered on with sata power (no sata connection to motherboard) for about an hour and after, close pc down and then plug back sata connection and see if it works

please note that I read this on reddit a while back and I have no idea what it really does - just heard that it'll reset the firmware and everything else without touching the data, at least on most SSDs, so be careful.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

This seems like a good idea, I'll report back. Do you have a source for where you read about this, like the thread you found it? Most search results seem to be about just wiping the SSD clean, I can't really find anything about resetting firmware this way

23 minutes ago, Auxim said:

This seems like a good idea, I'll report back. Do you have a source for where you read about this, like the thread you found it? Most search results seem to be about just wiping the SSD clean, I can't really find anything about resetting firmware this way

Nope. Should be on the PCMR subreddit a couple of days ago but I can't find it in my history going back to a week. Weird. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Well, sorry to say your idea didn't work. I even left it without data connection for way more than an hour, in a sense of "Well if isn't going to work at least want to make sure it would have if it did". I contacted the local computer store (well the only decent one in town) and they said that although they might be able to look, they couldn't right now due to going on holiday soon. I guess the only possibility left is trying that strange thing the guy in the other thread mentioned and hope for the best. I could always keep it on the side and swing by later