Floatplane download file names

Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

We're aware of the issue. I can't remember the specific reason we're still doing it this way, but there IS one.

It's something we WILL fix eventually, but please bear with us :(

Linus

Hi there,

This is a request, and this 1st post gets to the point, leaving the rants for a later comment afterwards.

Using Floatplane download button has been so frustrating...

Because my free time is limited, I download several videos for later viewing, at lunch or other spare time.

Saving files via that button, after chosing a given resolution, a Download Window pops-up with a pre-set name.

Can you please previously name files for download? And can you please adopt ISO 8601 + Name of the video?? Here's an example:

• 20180721 The new MacBook Pro Throttles?? (LIVE ARCHIVE).mp4

Thank you!

Take care, and take care of somebody else.
George Carlin: Jammin' in New York 1992

</>

Again, hi there!

Love all your work, and I've been won over by LMG content due to the incomparable Integrity and Humor that makes this kind of enterteinment ... enterteining, reliable and more important to me ... Interesting.

I have somewhat limited time now, and because 1080 res on stream sucks either on Floatplane or Youtube, also to blame my 4G carrier when I'm at home, I prefere to download files on to my laptop so I can watch them all at once at lunch or other spare time I get.

BUT, Floatplane sites button for Downloading any video has an issue, for my needs. When selected the resolution, a download menu pops-up with a preset name: 1080.mp4, 720.mp4 or other.

My programming skills stalled with Java more than a decade ago. My HTML/Javascript skills are now reduced to a bare minimum.

So, the suggestion I'm about to make to solve this issue (if anyone agrees with me) might be totally wrong... but perhaps setting a attribute on the parsed HTML code to set a specific name for a file wouldn't be that much difficult. Example:

<a href="/images/myw3schoolsimage.jpg" download="w3logo">
https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_a_download.asp

When in a folder I save files to watch 4 at a time, instead of overwriting which would be stupid for the purpose of having multiple videos to watch later, I get prompted to save with the same name as previous... I have to manually type something to avoid losing track of which file is which video.

I know it's a cultural "thing" because North America, and people making off money for inventing other "standards" but for Computer File Archiving none other is usefull, besides ISO 8601.

</>

Also, greeting for all LMG employees, Luke and Nicky V !!!

</>

We're aware of the issue. I can't remember the specific reason we're still doing it this way, but there IS one.

It's something we WILL fix eventually, but please bear with us :(

Linus

14 hours ago, josencarnacao said:

Also, greeting for all LMG employees, Luke and Nicky V !!!

nickys not here anymore,,,